Cort Artisan??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jul 1, 2005.

1. I found one of these basses for sale recently, and was intrigued by the nice body shape, Bartolini pickups and swamp ash body with a wenge neck, it sounds like it would be a huge tone monster. Any thoughts??

2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I've never seen that color of that kind of bass! My friend's dad has that bass only natural. I love it. My only complaint is that the neck seems skinnier than my 4 string Pbass neck! I do like it a lot however. It is a tone monster.

Ask about the neck though.
  3. bucardo

Jul 3, 2005
    I own an Artisan B4 (the same than the one in the picture but with natural finish) and I'm proud of it. It sound extremely good and it is very well constructed. I it was stolen, I'll buy it again, or go for the Artisan A4 (a bit more expensive, but neck-through body)
  4. *shakes his fist*

I want one of those!

How's the sound of the A compared to the B-series btw? Do they differ in sound a lot because of the way they're made?
  5. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    I've got one of the B4 fretlesses, with a walnut-stained body and a wenge neck. Obviously meant to cop a Warwick vibe and it does so quite nicely. The neck plays exceptionally well and is loaded with mwah.

6. Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    ionno why but the cort curbows look crazy.
  7. Hi. I've just bought an artisan b4 with the nautral finish and i'am a little bit intrigued about the wood, on the cort page its pictured(the b4) with mahagony body (or it seems like) and the b5 with swamp ash (it's the one i got), and seriously has way much better feel and sound(even with the passive mode) than my old gsr200 and i would say than a sr400 and maybe than an sr500 (i tried them out) and i felt more the b4. I bought it at guitar center on grossmont center or plaza, hehe :confused: and the guy told me that they where introducing that brand (cort) on GC so they couldn't do nothing about the price (519.99 + tax) , but i think it reallly worth it (neverteless i would prefer of course a better price :hyper: ) becasue i saw them on thebay a couple of weeks ago on 499.
  8. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I know they're available in either body wood in Australia.
  9. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    very good basses.
    stay away from c series. artisan a and b are very good.
    3535 is also a very nice model.
  10. yep i got the mahogany version, nice bass!! I'm trying to sell mine now to cover cost of upgrading to a Corvette, but the Cort's a great bass, i may end up keeping it.
  11. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    I found the Artisan to have tremendous bang for the buck.
  12. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    +1 I had one of these a few years ago. My only grip with it was the way the bridge functioned in regards to string height. You have to loose the string, take it out of the saddle groove, turn the saddle half a turn atleast and then put it back in and tune up. Not very good for fine tuning the action. (Unless the threads are small and tight and that half turn is actually a small increment). Either way it was inconvenient.
  13. I love my Artisan! Some of the greatest fit and finish from a mass produced bass I've ever seen. The neck pocket is perfect, the pickup routings are excellent, the control cavity is well sheilded and very tidy, the hardware is all great. Of course, things may have changed in the last 9 years. I've got the B4fl as well, and I personally like the tone more than a Warwick's, and the neck feels so much better than that ovalkangol Warwick uses nowadays.
  14. Hows the tone compared to a Warwick??

15. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I don't quite remember the tone of the Cort, but I'd say that the Warwick had more growl to it and more of an "edge". But I know you've played a Corvette Std. Fretless so that probably doesn't help :)

I do think that the Cort had a better output though due to it being active. I found my output on the Warwick to be alittle lower and less "live" sounding than I usually like.
  16. The Cort still has plenty of edge to it, but it's a tad warmer. I'm using several year old grounds on it, and I can get some crazy edge on it. Not what you'd get from a Warwick, but I like the tone it gives more than a Warwick personally.