Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cort B4FL

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Anyone here have a Cort B4FL? I'm looking for a thicker-necked fretless 4 and was pretty much set on a Warwick Corvette Standard, but I've heard a lot of good things about the Artisan series. Cort's workmanship is pretty damned solid considering that they're a Korean company. I know the electronics aren't USA Barts, but are they good for an aggressive modern fretless sound (i.e., beefier than Jaco)?

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I came VERY close to bringing one home that we had at work a while back. It sounded really good, even though it was an older model with the MightyMite pickups. Now that they've added better electronics to that Wenge neck, I really don't think you can go wrong for the price.

3. How was the neck? I'm an FBB man--you know I like 'em thick.

4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    that's weird, we we're just discussing that model over on the Carvin BBS today.
    Not helpful, especially, but true...

I played that one at Adron's...they are nice.
    Gotz ta love the wenge! What a neck! I wouldn't say it's really thick, not like our FBB's...but overall it's a nice little bass.

5. Well, I've never played a bigger neck than my FBB, so a bit more detail might be nice :D

Is it as big as a Precision? A Stingray? A Warwick?

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    If my recollection doesn't fail me, I think it's thinner than any of those...I'll ask the guy on the Carvin site to describe his, it's been a little while since I played one.

7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Yeah, the neck was fairly thin...nothing like our FBBs. Shoot, I'd say my FBB is definitely chunkier than any Warwick I've played. The Cort seemed to be pretty similar for my Fender Jazz, if my memory serves me correctly. I have trouble with P-Basses, so if it was that size, I wouldn't have considered it. It was probably a little chunkier than my Jazz, but rounded-off more like the Fender. More of a narrow C-shape, where the FBB feels more like a D-shape. I hope that made sense. It does in my head, but I don't quite know how to get the words out.

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i JUST played one a few days ago when i was picking up a set of DR's for my sixer (46 bucks - OUCH!)

what a great little bass. for the money, if they made a fretless 5'er i probably would have saved the cake and got a new one of those instead. and that says ALOT.

the neck is probably a little thinner than a warwick's, but not by a whole lot. sound is pretty similar, though with the barts it's got a bit more "whump" and less "grr" but it's a NICE bass.

it really chaps my ass though, how warwick says they can't get wenge to put on their basses but fricken CORT can. either warwick is exaggerating the cost of wenge or cort has a great supplier (or uses cheap wood)

oh well...

9. Two things you should know, Jason:

1. Cort makes 5-string fretless versions of the Artisan, both neck-through (A) and bolt-on (B).

2. Get your strings online, foolio. Jeez.

10. In any case, I'm gonna call into Music-Go-Round in Syracuse and will probably make a trip sometime within the next few weeks. Being done with classes at noon on Tuesdays and Thursdays is pretty bitchin', I must say :D

A fretless Corvette Standard 4, preferably passive (I'd drop an NTBT in later), is still the leading candidate, but the B4FL looks pretty damned tempting.

11. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    According to Cort's website (see the link below), the B5FL is not available in the U.S.

http://www.cort.com/basses/artisan/b_models.html

Please let us know if this info. is incorrect. (I've noticed in the past that Cort's website is not always up to date.)

12. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Yeah, the B5FL is discontinued in the US. Ask for info about it from Mr. Wade and Mr. Johnson. Those two showed me some about the Cort basses.

13. bassnut14

bassnut14

Sep 21, 2009
    really I played a second hand one the other day and it growled a LOT of course I did have the midrange fully boosted.