cort bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by macool, Aug 7, 2001.

1. well time for a new bass again and dont know what to do. at the local music store i found a cool lookin 5 string that played great. i dont know the model number but it was a cort. and i havent heard to much about this brand and since it was only $400 and had 24 frets and five strings i was wondering if there might be any hidden faults in it. if anyone can encourage or discourage me in this purchase it would be greatly appriciated.
  2. LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    Some of their signature models have alot of after market stuff that makes the bass/guitar very worth it. And all the that after market stuff comes standard at no additional cost. Try the funk machine bass.
  3. BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have an older model Cort. I like it a lot. It kinda sounds like a Fender. But I suggest that you look into it. I don't think that you will be disappointed.
  4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    hey whats up

The store i go to carries a few corts. I have tried them out in lessons, just to see what they feel like. I even tried one of their signature basses. I HATE them. For the price they are probably the worst basses ive ever played. For roughly the same price the stores carries dean basses. I would reccomend dean basses. They dont really have any bells or whistles, but they play nice. They come in active and passive and 4, 5, and 6 strings. Just a reccomendation though.
  5. Just thought I'd throw this in here, but the other day I grabbed a Cort off the wall at Mars Music. I sat down to play it, but I couldn't balance the thing on my leg (and my legs are thin!). It's kind of awkward to explain, but you know how you would "wear" the bass around your right thigh when you play sitting down? Well that part of the bass that's supposed to rest on your thigh was just too small. I tried to wear it on my left thigh, but that didn't work either. I ended up giving up without plugging it in.

Anybody know of the bass I'm talking about? How do you guys work around that?
  6. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    yeah. I am not a fan of the cort basses. i think that $400 is the cort curbow bass or somethin. it has an ebonel fretboard.. I think these basses are ugly... I saw one that had a chip in it and this finish is like a plastic covering over the wood... kinda wierd.... I guess they sound ok for the price. but you can get a mim jazz bass for the same price and would be better and in my opinion look better. just my two cents worth...

7. I know which bass yer talkin 'bout its the Cort Curbow bass and they jus made a cheaper version of the brand Curbow which makes incredibly expensive basses in that hard-to-put-on-leg design. i feel yer pain...
  8. I played a Cort Artisan NA5 some time ago and it was a 5-piece laminated neck-through bartolini'd 5-stringer.

It's price shocked me. It was dirt cheap, well-built and looked gorgeous.
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Cort Artisan's are killer basses for the price.
  10. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    The Chip you saw looked like plastic..
    Because the Bass IS madre BY Plastic. (Luthite)
    No wood on that body man.

And you cant beat the Cort Curbow 6 String so easily.
    For the Price I got it.. it is one of the Best 6´s in the range.
  11. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I'm not saying they aren't decent basses. I guess that is how i sounded. They do sound pretty good considering they are so inexpensive. I just don't like the body style. But hey, whats in the look right? sorry if i offended you..
  12. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I've tried two Cort basses, just short shop tests.
    The Curbow was not to my liking, as it was fairly unbalanced sitting down, and the plastic frettboard got sticky.
    Recently, I got my hands on a model S, which I believe is now discontinued? This is a simple, all wood bass, that feels great. It is well executed, passive with an MM-pup. This is a fairly good bass, at LOW price.
    Reservation: I haven't tried it enough - not even strapped!

Bootom line: Cort can make basses - don't be disouraged by the label! (EVER!)
  13. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i used to have a 4 string cort astisan. it was equipped with p/j emg select pickup. the neck was easy to play and really good and the bass had a great craftmanship. i sold the bass to one of my sudents. he's got the bass and he plays it a lot. recently upgraded the pickup to p/j real emg and the bass sound even better. if you like the feel of the bass go for it.
  14. I think Cort are a great company. They aren't very well known but they are a great company.
    I use a Cort Artisan NB5-string and I recently took it for it's first check up in 10 months and it was still perfect.
    Most people aren't aware that Cort actually supply parts and bodies to Ibanez! Cort use better pickup's and electronics though.
  15. The Curbow bass everybody is talking about is a special signiture model for Greg Curbow. It's made out of a synthetic composite called luthite.
    The bass is equipped with Bartolini mk-1 pickups
    and is made for a great slap & pop sound.
    It's not really made for use while sitting though.
    But I still say to look at the Artisan series.
    Go to
  16. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Dont believe everything you read.
    It actually comes with Might Mite Pickups.(DX)

The only one that comes with a Bartolini 72M46 is the 6 String wich isnt even listed on the Web Page
  17. LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    :confused: Well, I went down to MarsMusic today, and tried a 6 string curbow, It did have bartolini pups in it. I pluged it into a sliverado SWR combo, which I'm really sold on now. I played with all E.Q. flat and I would say the sound is comparble to an American Jazz Standard. (I tried one of those too.) Yes the bass is extreamly unbalanced. But here is a solution to that. Play with a strap, or keep one arm on it. There solved. You will find that most basses are not balanced so that they will stay on your one leg unattended. :rolleyes: