Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cort Basses Yay or Nay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by not quite Flea, May 18, 2002.

1. not quite Flea

not quite Flea

Oct 19, 2001
    NZ
    Im Half way through buying a Cort Action 5 String Bass. I kind of let my female side shine though:rolleyes: , it was yellow and ooohhhh soooo pretty!! so i brought it (duh..)

But ppl who do have Cort Basses, are they good? nice tone?

Please tell me your comments and feelings. On Cort Basses :D

it was sooo pretty!!

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Nice stuff. Decent basses designed by a guy who knows his stuff (Greg Curbow). Nothing wrong with them in the least.

3. not quite Flea

not quite Flea

Oct 19, 2001
    NZ
    Thats great! thanks! :D

4. But, is the Action bass really designed by Curbow? I doubt that.
    Anyway, I've tried one acoustically in a store once, and what I remember most was the horrible setup that made it sound sort of like a beehive. Seemed solid though.
    Have fun!

5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    One of my students owns one (4-string). It's a very decent bass, regarding to its very low price (approx EUR 250). He had to drastically correct the factory setup, though.

So my personal answer to the title of this thread is "Yay"...

All the best,

6. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I just bought a Cort B4 Fretless a little while back and I love it. The all wenge neck feels great. The Bartolini MK1 Pu's and electronics sound nice ( I need to get in there and do a shielding job though). It has a very comfy feel to it. The neck pocket isn't perfect but it sure is sturdy. I'd give it an 8.5 out of 10 overall. I'm very hapy with it.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I think the B4 basses aregreat basses for the money. If you wanna hear one in action, get the Live Jill Scott CD. Thaddeus Tribbett plays a Cort fretless 5. He kills it! I vote "Yay".

8. The only ones designed by Greg Curbow are the Curbows. I havent played other cort basses but i have a Curbow 6 and it is great.

9. So yay.

10. LOVE my B4 fretless.

I'd give it a 10 out of 10. I paid just $600 for a bass that sounds (to me) better than many $1000-$1500 basses.

SERIOUSLY. YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i REALLY wish they still made a 5 string fretless. that's fackin weak.

anyways..yeah they're great basses. wenge neck, swamp ash body, and bart electronics for such a low price? yay.

12. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    years ago i had a Cort Artisan 4 string bass. it was my first decent bass, see thru green with Select by EMG pickups. p and j configuration. it was a really nice sounding bass, i ended selling it to collect money for my Rickenbacker 4001. i still have a good feeling with that bass, it was for sure a quality instrument, i sold it to a guy who was starting and took lessons from me. i'd really like to have it back, icould replace the pickups with barts P and J, it could be a killer bass. So i say YAY!

13. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I bought a Cort Curbow 5 fretless in December and it's holding up well. It was a great deal for the price. Plays well, looks good (IMO of course), and sounds good.

14. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    The Cort Curbow 6 I had for a while was definitely a quality piece.

Also, the B4 Fretless my friend had was a wonderful instrument. I mean, so many quality features for such a low price. Ya can't beat that.

Yay.

Alex

15. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I've played a few of the Cort Curbows and they are generally nice basses for the bucks. I sat in with a band a few weeks ago in which the bass player had a Cort P-bass copy. It was one of the crappiest, nastiest, most uncomfortable, fartiest sounding basses I have ever had the displeasure of picking up. So....I guess they make some nice ones and some not so nice ones....

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Cort makes some nice basses, especially for the money. I've been touting the original B4FL fretless for a long time now. With a Wenge neck, it's easily one of the best sounding and playing fretlesses around, regardless of price. A true bargain IMO.

17. I just took my son out to Gtr Ctr, Mars, etc. to play some basses and we spent quite a long time with the Cort B4FL and we agreed that it is a killer. It appears to be an exceptional deal! I would certainly say, "yay!" I won't be trading my MIJ fretless Jazz Bass for it any time soon, though.

18. ScJaxx

ScJaxx Guest

Mar 15, 2002
    VA
    i have an Artisan C4
    although ive only had two basses(however im getting a Peavey Cirrus next week), this one and a squire p-bass, i have to say that this one is just in general, better.

better tone, better construction, just better
    the mighty mite pups arent great, but they do their job for the money you pay. i got mine for 179 from MF when they had a special deal.

later

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree. Best sounding low price fretless on the market, IMHO.

20. Makatak

Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    I owned a Cort Stienberger copy once , anyone remember them ? , another model they had out at the same time was a standard body/headless model , like the type Curt Smith from Tears For Fears used [ Status type ] ,this was about 1986 , its all i could afford new ! I got by