Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cort basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alla, Jan 29, 2001.

1. Alla

Alla

Sep 25, 2000
    Italy
    What about the Cort basses ?
    I've played a five string .. don't know the model .. but great quality / cost rate .. I think it's the new series
    Someone knows anything or had tried soem cort bass ?
    THX

2. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    *DM Yells out Ifabara's name*

YO!! IFABARA!!! THE CORT CURBOW MASTER!! WHERE ARE YOU!?!?!? :D :D :D :D

Alla: Don't worry, the help is on its way :D

DM :D

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    HAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!
    Thank for that Indroduction DarkMazda!!

Cort has several models right now in their line up.
    Try to remember if it had a small body and was a little uncomfortable to play sitting.. If so. That was a Cort Curbow.

If not.. It could be an Artisan wich is Swamp Ash with Maple Top and a Wenge/Maple neck wich is beutiful.

Yeah the C. Curbow Fretless 5 is great.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    something also to remember - the groove tools conklins are made at the cort plant in korea, and marketed by cort/westheimer. they just didn't design them.

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    You are right John.
    The Factory is Cor-Tek in Korea, but the Groove Tools basses dont bear the Cort name. Thats why those are not considered Cort Basses, just the same as Washburn (also made at Cor-tek, some Ibanez Basses, etc etc)
    The Curbow, does bear the Cort name,, (soon wont.)

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    quite a few years ago i played a cort astisan four string bass finished in a beautiful trasparent green. i sold it to buy a 4001 rickenbacker, but i wasn't absolutely happy in selling it. it was a good bass with a good workmanship and tones. with better pickups it couldbe even better. since then i have a great opinion of cort basses i only suggest to buy one at the top of the line according to your budget.
    cheaper models are not able to sound as best cort.
    good luck

7. The Tobias Toby Pro 4,5 and 6 are made by Cort.
    So, I think, are the Korean Spectors.

8. I picked up a Cort Curbow 6 about 4 months ago and really like the way it plays, so much I'm thnking about getting a fretless in the 6. The 6 strings come with a Bartoloni pickup and sounds and feels great. I haven't played any of the 5-strings though.

9. SantosL.Halper

SantosL.Halper

Sep 27, 2000
    If Cort makes the Toby 5, does anyone know anything about the Toby? 3 bills at MusicYo is tempting, although I do want a Cort 6 with the Bart...-Santos

10. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I had the Toby Pro 4,, IT wont compare to the Cort Curbow..
    The Curbow is a world better..

About the Cort Curbow 6 String.. There isnt a fretless version.. (I wanted the same) that´s why I bought the 5 String Fretless.

11. SantosL.Halper

SantosL.Halper

Sep 27, 2000
    I just picked up a near new Cort Curbow 6 with case for $500 shipped. It is a wonderful bass, a real apple to my orange G&L L-2500.

Amazing playability and range of tones. I'm truly psyched, what a sweet bass for the $$$. Anyway, thanks to the folks on this thread for the head's up...-SLH

"Country music is about getting drunk, falling off your bar-stool, and hitting on your neighbor's wife. Western music is about living free, fresh air, and hitting on your neighbor's sheep".-Too Slim, Riders in the Sky

12. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    My Cort Curbow fretless five is for sale. Thought I would hang onto it, but have to make some room. Excellent condition, Lakland flats, gig bag. $400 and I pay shipping in U.S.
    Doc

13. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Congradulations for seeing the light! That's the same color I've got. I'd say that's a good price; I wish I hadn't paid $600. Anyway, if it came with the stock strings, get rid of them! I hated those steel things and switched to D'Addario XL's. Much better. If they have black silk on the ends and sound bad, they're the stock strings.

14. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Cool Man!! Congratulations on you new Bass!!
    If you need any help with it just ask.

Btw, My bass got a slight blemish in the finish. :(
    My fault. It was due by polishing the body finish . NEVER Polish the straight edges of the bass, the finish there is very sensible.

Im using Ernie Ball 2838 Strings wich sound great. The only problem is to fit the B string in the Bridge hole.

15. SantosL.Halper

SantosL.Halper

Sep 27, 2000
    The strings seem pretty good, I don't see any black silk on the strings, and they seem to be in good shape. I may take John Turner's advice and get a bigger guage B string. I'll have a better feel after today's jam session.

BTW, even though I play g*&tar as well, I'm more comfortable having it tuned in 4ths, B-C. Nice to have a 4+ octave range...-SLH

16. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I had an Artisan 6 for a while last year and gigged with it a bit. Seemed well-made but had trouble unloading it and getting my money back. Also thought the sound was on the thin side, not the ballsiest 6 out there but certainly one of the better ones at that low price point. Cort's seem like an excellent value.

17. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    BTW, I'd like to know your opinion about Cort Groove Tools basses. Saw one, played and sounded very good, but what about quality and reliability ?

All the best,

18. I have a an New action 5 and a Artisan C-5 and they are wonderful basses. Before i bought the C-5 I looked at a Thumb some M.I.A fenders and M.I.M Fenders, Specors, Ken Smith and many others and none of them appealed to me as much as the Cort does. I say If you like it dont worry about the price tag and the "prestige" Factor playing bass is about the music and not how "prestigoius (sp?)" the instrument in our hands is. That said I love the cort basses and dont see the need to add anything else to my collection other then maybe a fretless.

19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the groove tools compare very favorably, imo, to my custom conklins - i have 9 custom 7 and 8 string basses (10 if you count the doubleneck as 2 :D) the groove tools are all designed by bill conklin completely, and based on hand made prototypes that he made. the necks and bodies feel very close to mine, construction wise, and they have pretty good electronics - excellent pickups, and a decent preamp, although i like a mid control.

the 4 things i don't like about the gt's are...

1. the string spacing at the nut is a bit too wide for me - i like the spacing a bit tighter, and it is on all of the customs i have had built for me. this is just personal pref.

2. i like at least a 3 band eq. - i like having the mid range available.

3. i like a heavier bridge, like the abm. more bridge mass translates to better performance.

4. the fretless has lines. i love the fretboard on the fretless, but i don't like fretlesses with lines.

all of these are really minor points except for the first one, for me.

none of the 6 strings at the same price can hold a candle to the gt7, imo. for us$1000 you can't beat it.

20. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Thanks JT for this very explicit reply.

All the best,