1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cort basses!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWBass, Nov 7, 2019.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Was in a small local store yesterday and spotted these 2 Cort basses. Amazing quality and both for around $500. Unbelievable! Anyone have any experience with these? The neck on the jazz was a little chunky but comfortable. Both basses were lightweight. Couldn't have been more than 9lbs. Swamp Ash body. Omega bridge and US Hipshot tuners.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    pacojas, kobass, Border and 11 others like this.
  2. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    Had a few of them, spent a considerable amount of time playing quite a lot of them. Every single one was spotless, excellent build quality, good materials, couldn't really find a fault, quality wise. The electronics in the artisans with the mk1 barts and that pre isn't to my liking but it's not bad by any means. Cort's been churning out quality instruments for years and it's a shame they're not more popular.

And no, I have no affiliation with them.

Border, TonyP-, Outtaseezun and 4 others like this.
  3. Greg Waldon

Greg Waldon

Aug 22, 2017
    Mississippi
    None
    I have noodled around with Corts in the music stores over the years. All seemed to have great build quality.
    Yesterday I bought a Cort SB10. It is a 2000 year model going by the serial number. It also has great build quality. Fit and finish ranks up there with basses that cost a great deal more. Definitely worth checking out. You might just be having a NBD in the near future.

Aqualung60 and SirMjac28 like this.
  4. Kallen

Kallen

Jul 22, 2019
    I have one of those Cort 5 string jazz' that you have shown in the picture. To me personally the electronics are the downfall for the bass and I plan on swapping out the pickups and the preamp. The neck plays great and only had 2 frets that needed a bit of leveling and once I did that it was good to go.

For $500 I can't complain though.

TonyP- and SirMjac28 like this.
  5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Corts barely ever disappoint. In the past preamps used to suck, not anymore these last years.

SirMjac28 and Vinny_G like this.
  6. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    That tobacco burst is quite tasty.:)

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Their Master series are (were?) fantastic.
    I really like that they gave a legacy to Curbow.

Gothic likes this.
  8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I would love to check those basses out!

SirMjac28 and jjk2007 like this.
  9. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

they look nice!

i forget about cort instruments until a thread like this reminds me how good they look --- and plenty of folks sing their virtues. contenders!

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

I didn't plug them in but I played them and they felt great. I was excited at the weight and am also curious about the Markbass preamp. Didn't know they were into the preamp business now. The Bart MK-1 pickups aren't bad (the MK preamps suck eggs). I have my eye on the jazz model after the new year and after getting my car situations sorted out.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    Dr. Cheese likes this.
  11. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    I recently sold a GB74JH that was excellent. Cort makes nice basses.

12. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Gallia Celtica
    I had a Cort Curbow, one of the first series with the luthite body and the ebonol fingerboard. They had 26 or 27 frets if I remember correctly. It was fun to play but not very comfortable, the body was really small.

I also had an Artisan A5 and it was very good. I'd be willing to buy one again if I needed a versatile and reliable bass for a bit of everything.

Gothic likes this.
  13. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Why yes, I have some experience with Corts:

Tres amigos small.

These are three of my four B4FLs. I've refinished them, redone the fingerboards to a 16" radius (original is a very odd 15.75" radius) and gutted out the Bart preamps - the MKI pickups work just fine passively, and frankly I think they don't get enough credit for being a decent pickup. That being said, gonna try a set of Nordstrand singles in one of them, as I like a single coil sound every now and then.

The are very much like Ibanez in a lot of ways, no surprise as Cor-Tek makes quite a few of the Ibanez models, but with a nice, wide 19mm string spacing at the bridge and a bit of offset to the body, which I really like. They hang well. They're very light. 1.65 at the nut, right between P and J spacing.

Construction is tight, in general. Can't get a post-it into the neck pocket, and that's the most important one. Got one (the one that is not pictured) that has a rattling truss rod - can't hear it plugged in, but it bothers me a lot when I'm restringing. I can't call this one a manufacturing issue as I bought every one of these used. Some of them had been used pretty hard (hence the refinish).

Had 'em for a long time now. Bought them back in 2015 or 2016, been using them ever since. These have the old Warwick style bridge (the dates on these are from 2000, 2000, and 2004) which frankly are a difficult and fiddly setup. At least it STAYS set up.

My 2008 has the new Hipshot bridge and tuners, which frankly are an across the board improvement.

I wish they'd made a fretless fiver, but like with any other manufacturer, I'm just grateful they make a fretless at all. I may go to setting up one of these as BEAD, which isn't ideal, but unlined fretless fivers are a hard to find item.

Hope this helps someone.

MonetBass, Border, Skillet and 5 others like this.
  14. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    They used to have the B5FL. They seem to have discontinued it but I'm pretty sure you can find one used.

15. The potential for neckdive is high when the upper horn is short of the 12th fret.5

16. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I have the C5. The only issue is that it gets hissy with the highs cranked.

17. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    I played one of those in Las Vegas when I was visiting my daughter. It was at a pawn shop and they only wanted something like $175 for it, but it was a neck through and I had no way to get it home. It was a dark stain and was a great bass

18. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Cort have made some killers, here's mine, tilt neck and all.

Attached Files:

• 039.JPG
      039.JPG
      File size:
      21.9 KB
      Views:
  19. skaine

skaine

Dec 11, 2014
    Played a Cort Custom Z A4 model couple of years ago. It was too modern sounding to my ears, however it was a nice bass, especially for that price.

20. The guitarist in awesome UK Prog Band Arena plays Cort, The very accomplished bassist John Jowett on stage with him doesn't seem to mind?... The headstock is readily visible at 1:46

Vinny_G likes this.