Cort Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Son of Bovril, Apr 11, 2005.

1. I never seem to hear anything on tb about Cort basses - why is this? I mean, they are relatively well priced and the new ones even come stock with low-end Bartolinis.

The reason I ask is that they have flooded the music shops here in SA with them, and I was wondering what their fretless models sound like as an option for a first frettless?

2. Bassliner

Mar 15, 2005
    I for one like the GB series, in theory. Never played one, but saw some in my fav. bass shop. Look nice, and the electronics should be able to sound nice aswell.
    Go ahead and give 'em a try I'd say!
  3. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    I've played a few Corts, and I also own two basses that are built by Cort. Excellent value for the money.

The GB series is a good instrument, and the Artisans are also good value instruments. For a first fretless, I would recommend you to check out the Cort/Curbows. They are excellent fretless basses, and on top of that, they are very comfortable and light weight.
  4. Bassliner

Mar 15, 2005
    Here's what Cort themselves say about a 'cheap' (?) GB:
    It features every good features of it's brothers with traditional concept at low budget price. Yet, this one is made for "traditional sound", not the "beginner sound". It has agathis body and Powersound pickups for deep chunky sound.
    The looks alone make me want to try it. Then, it's cheap (I guess) and they didn't use just plywood. Although that's a minus, I have a fretless Jazz copy w. plywood body and it sounds great :D
  5. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    I own a couple corts. I have a Cort/Curbow 4 string. It's not a bad bass at all. Very light weight and comfortable to play. It's not a fretless so I can't tell you how those are. The only problem I have with it is that it slides off your leg if you play it sitting down.

I also own a Cort/Elrick Josh Paul sig. This is my main bass. This thing plays like a dream. Again, not a fretless, I don't think they offer a fretless model for these. Cort does offer some decent basses at a low cost. Both basses have Barts in them w/ MK1 pre amps.

My only advice is to go to one of the shops that carry them and plug one in and judge for yourself. This will be the only way you'll know if you like them or not.

I guess any fretless bass can be a good starter for you. The style or make of a fretless bass won't make it any easier to play. So it's a matter of what you can afford.

Good luck! :)
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, the Cort/Elrick basses are great. The b on the 5 string Cort / Elrick JP is a bit floppy, but for the price you can't really complain.
  7. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    They are truely amazing basses, just not very many people know about them so the price is still down low.

Shhhh... :cool:

My friend's dad know's a guy who owns a shop where all they sell is Corts, and between my friend and his dad, they have like 5 Corts. They all play really nice. I played my friend's 4 string GB (jazz copy, humbucker and jazz pickup) and it was really nice. I just have to complain because I want 24 frets.
  8. Thanx guys, I'll go check them out this afternoon if I can - I quite like the look of the artisan fretless... will let you know what I think of the sound
  9. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Not if you don't have a B string. I hardly used the B string, so why keep it? Tenor all the way! :bassist:
  10. I own a Cort Curbow 4 string model and am pretty impressed with its playability and electronics. The sound is pretty sweet out of the thing especially with the slap switch on. Over all i am impressed with it except the body shape and size. I am a 6 foot 210 pound male so the small body size and shortness of the bottom horn just looks odd on me. If you are a small person its a great bass for you, i dont know about the other models though, they may be normal sized, but if they have the quality of the Cort it will be decent and sound good.
    PS: Will sell my Cort :D
  11. RollingMonkey

Nov 11, 2004
    Aaah, a fellow South African! Howzit? ;)

I know what you mean about the shops being flooded by Cort basses.

I own a GB-75. Set me back about R3000. I can't really comment on the fretless ones, but in general they sound decent. Not fantastic, but decent. I still use it as a backup bass, and it's my only 5-string. The quality's great. I've had it for just over a year and nothing's fallen off (which is more than I can say for one of my other basses) and it's in perfect working condition. From what I know, Cort make some very good entry and intermediate level basses, but I doubt you'll find anything high-end.
  12. A fellow South African - awsome, other than you, stef (formerly evenflow) is the only other bass player I have seen on here...
  13. I love my Cort Curbow. Easy to play, sounds good, versatile, quiet electronics, just the size shape thing bugs me. What other companies are part of Cort?
  14. Ocelot

Mar 21, 2005
    Today I bought a Cort Action used w/ PJ pick up... brought it home and ... well I'm not feeling so great about it. I'm just starting to play and have been playing my friend's Peavey Fury. I was looking for a light 4-string with a thin neck back to front. I've been around town looking at used basses in the cheap range... felt good about this Cort in the store but now it seems bright(?) and trebley compared to the Peavey. (Not sure how to describe sound with words.)
    I want a clean deep sound (i know this will take practice) but don't want it so heavy that I can't bop around with it.
    Any words of wisdom? The music store guy is trustworthy and I can bring it back in 24 hours.
  15. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    actually, there's a 4 string Cort / Elrick bass too. I bought one out of curiosity, great bass. amazing vfm
  16. Cort started out many years ago making entry level basses of questionable quality. Like many korean manufacturers, they have slowly used the advance of technology to keep their list price low whilst improving their quality.
    I own one of their early models - the Steinberger copy and even though its a cheapy, its actually pretty good.

My advice? Go for it!
  17. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003

See that, I learn something new everyday! I thought the JP sig only came in a 5 string. Now I want one of those too.
  18. I have a Cort/Curbow 4-string fretless and I love it. Love the weight, love the feel, love the sound. IMO, a really nice little bass. :)
  19. Ocelot

Mar 21, 2005
    Thanks for the info.! These forums are so helpful!

In the end I decided to trade in the Cort Action for an Ibanez GRS200. The Cort was a fine bass, but like everyone says I had to go with how it feels in my hands and the tone.

I'm really happy with my Ibanez for now! :hyper:
  20. retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    iv got a standard cort from like 20 years agi and its still kicking heavy rump.. its a precission and i love its feel. iv become emotionaly attached to it.. :sigh::
    so yea.. cort gets my vote :)

i also prefer it over my ibanez grs 190