Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cort Cubow for metal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman1185, May 2, 2001.

1. I was just kinda wondering if the Curbow 5 has a tone suitable for metal; that is, a sharp, focused cutting tone. Thanks.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    IMO, There is no particlual bass for any style of music. Have you played one? If so, did you like it? If not, go play it & see if you like the sound & feel. Alot of stores have return policies so if you like it, try it in a band situation. That is the real test.

Good luck. :)

3. I've played the Cort Curbow, I wouldn't say they are best for metal if you're wanting to cut through a blazing guitar and a dominant kick drum sound. In this case, you want something that has brilliance and an aggresive sound. If you don't mind being in the back end of the mix then the Cort Curbow should work as good as most anything. Please let me know the top dollar you want to spend on a bass and I'll give you the best choices on basses that cut through the mayhem. I play in a metal band so i understand completely.

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Well, I use my Cort Curbow 6 String to play Progressive Metal/Rock , Thrash, Heavy Metal.

5. I'm not looking right now, but I have G.A.S. really bad. I just got a Warwick Streamer Standard 5, and I love it, and I don't want to risk hurting it, so I'm kind of thinking about getting a knockaround instrument.

6. I agree. I have a Yamaha RBX260 fretless strung with TI Jazz flats. Very dark, smooth sound, just how I like it. But I mostly play rock with it. Not the least bit suitable in terms of what's traditionally used, but I like it.

7. Like Nino pretty much said, any bass can be used for any style. However, a bass that has a real "cutting" sound is requested here. Past experiences tell me that the Cort Curbow isn't the best bass for cutting through the mix.

8. I own 3 CR Spectors and I use them all on stage for live performances. They aren't dirt cheap either, however, they are meant to be played. If you get a cheap bass just to protect your more expensive investment it won't work. You'll just be thinking about the sound you should be enjoying.

9. I know, that's why I'm asking around in advance to see if I can find a bass that doesn't cost a lot, but sounds deicent, too.

10. why not just try it for yourself? I can tell you it has cutting tone if you want me to, but it wont make it true

11. I have played them before, but it's been a while, and I've kind of forgotten. I would go to a store that sells them, but I'm 15, so I can't drive. Being too young to drive really sucks, you know?

12. I paid $1500 plus tax for each of my five strings and I don't worry about playing them live. I wouldn't pay 4 grand for a bass if I had to worry about never playing it live as well. My recommendation is to get another quality bass as a back up (or rotate with your Warwick). The specials on CR Spectors on www.musiciansfriend.com is worth checking out. They have a few 5 strings left for $999 (normally they are $1500 through M.F.), that is my recommendation. The Streamer is very Spector inspired so you can't go wrong here!!!