Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cort Curbow 4/5 Just Pretty or What?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by duke2004, Oct 11, 2005.

1. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    I was in the Guitar Center today checking out that infamous petitie "high tech" Cort Curbow 4. Couldnt hear much with all the noise in the store, but its tempting to buy one just for the looks. I guessing these sound a bit sterile, sort of like Modulus but not quite. Do they sound near as good as they look? Had anyone modified these to get some decent sounds? The theory is as a backup but sometimes gig instrument.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The Cort Curbow is definitely worth it. It is a great sounding bass with excellent high end and mids. The fingerboard smells kind of funny, but that's it. Hold it see how comfortable it is for you.

3. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    i had a 5 string. it sounded pretty hi-fi ,not bad for slap! but on mine the silver bridge and knobs got faded real fast and i never could get the ebonol fret board to shine like it did when it was new! over all i liked it ! it had a good feel on the fret board.. :)

4. duke2004

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    i assume from the pickup placement this is more of a MusicMan type sound than a P...? Someone describe the sound, if possible

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I say the Cort Curbow is slightly Fendery but modern. It doesn't sound like a Stingray. It sound somewhere between a P and a J when slapped. The finger sound is closer to a P.

6. yeah...I was gonna buy one, but I didn't like how the volume knob tasted... :D

7. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    the dr. is correct!! they have a plastic smell!!! and it doesnt go away!!!!!!! :smug:

8. duke2004

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    Bizzare, is that outgassing? Ive never heard of a bass that smells...

9. pretty, huh? :meh:

;)