Cort Curbow 4 & Guitar Center

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superfly, Oct 13, 2005.

1. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I'm thinking about going to GC and make an offer for a new Cort Curbow 4 bass. The tag says $550 list and sells for $359. which is about 35% off.
    That seems like a pretty good deal to begin with.
    I am used to 35-45% off at GC.
    I want to offer them about $305 + tax, which would be about 45% off.

Anyone have any tips on how to haggle and pretty much not settle for a lower price in my mind?
    Or am I being unreasonable?

40% off would be the lowest discount I would accept, but 45% would be nicer!
  2. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Your going to make them an "offer"?
    It's a retail business , buddy...Your not buying a house.
    This is why none of these poor salesman enjoy the job or ever make any money...they work on commission you know! $6.00 an hour with no commission is no way to live.

Where do you come off saying " 40% off would be the lowest discount I would accept".

Who the hell are you????

What's the big deal about the $50.00 difference? If you really want the bass, then pay what there asking unless you have an ad for a cheaper price.
    If you really want to Get something for free...Ask if they can throw in a strap or a free set of strings..
    At least this way it doesn't hurt there pay.

They need to make a living to!

3. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    "dragonbass" You are out of line here.

I work hard for my money and I will not settle for anything but the best possible deal.

Those jerks there at GC don't give a **** about anything anyway, plus they are really stupid when it comes to any knowledge about the products they sell. I don't mean all of the sales people, just most of them.
    If you want to pay "sticker' price go ahead,but I'm not that stupid.

I'm sorry if this reply offends anyone but "dragonbass". But come on, his reply is over the top. He must have had a bad day or something.

Who am I? I am the consumer, I am pretty much the boss.
    If they don't want to sell me an item at the lowest possible price because I am informed, then they don't have to.
  4. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Grabbed mine from GC in Houston (impluse purchase, but I'm glad I did) for $300 even about a month ago. Was in there on a slow night, and chatted with the clerk for about 20 mins (during which he learned I was a Katrina evacuee, so I think that led him to help me out as much as possible).... finally asked him, simply, "I like the feel of this one.... what can you do for me?".

He came back with $299.99 (it's the one with the Bart MK1), and I scooped it up. If memory serves, it was taqgged at $359 like yours.

So they definitely can go that low.
  5. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Dragonbass.. calm down. No reason to be rude, here.

ppl at guitar do care, but Ive never seen 40% off before. Good luck. I think you can do it if you try.
  6. mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    I talked GC down on my Pedulla ($3795 list) from $2900 w / no case to $2400 including the case ($165 list), so I dare say that Guitar Center will most definately accept offers. They're totally willing to work with the customer to sell their merchandise. It's not Walmart. As long as you don't go in their with an attitude they'll drop the price faster than a used car salesman (depending on the item). Act like you want it but can't afford it at the price they're asking, then sit back and wait for the magic.

Oh and also try and find a new sales rep. You'll know them, they're the real spunky ones that are all teeth and greet you as soon as they see you. They're usually easier to get deals from as they don't mind getting a lower commission, as long as they close the sale.
  7. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    40% is quite common at GC. As long as you let them know that is what you usually get.
    I am fortunate that I live within 1/2 hr of 3 Guitar Center locations.
    So 40% is common for me. I've even got 45% several times.
    Its just that one never knows who the salesperson is going to be because of the big employee turnover.
    I was just curious what others do to haggle a price.
  8. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas should relax, man. Haggling is just how buying gear works. The salesmen expect it; it's almost a ritual.

Anyway, back to the original subject:

All you really have to do is say, 'So, what can you do for me on this?' Or, what kinda deal can you give me, or something similar. Usually they'll come up with a number a bit lower than the asking price, and, usually, it's not bad at all. In the end, if you're not willing to pay what they want, just walk away.