Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cort Curbow 5 (or 6)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by QU!CK, Sep 7, 2005.

1. QU!CK

QU!CK

Apr 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    I've been GASing over this bass for a while. Haven't ever played one but I'm going to my local GC to see if they have any in stock today.

I've heard people talk about how great the slap tone on these basses are so I'm hoping to get lucky and find out that they make a lefty model! :)

Anyone have any comments on these basses, particularily the Cort Curbow 5...thanks! :hyper:

Sound clips are welcomed if anyone has them! :bag:

-J

2. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Nice bass for the money, GREAT slap tone warm and punchy. Get the 6 ;)

R.I.P.
    Greg Curbow :bassist:

3. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I found it to be a very comfortable bass. The body seems very small to me as a 6'3" person, but it is a cool looking bass. The last one I played was a used 5 string frettless, it had a very uprighty thump, but not much sustain. I think that was due to the old flatwounds it had on it. Sounded nice though.

4. LifeSpitter

LifeSpitter Guest

Apr 6, 2002
    Bass Heaven
    The first bass i owned was a curbow 4 string. It sounds pretty good considering how much it cost. I think the body is a composite of sorts,...luthite er something. This gives it a pretty punchy slap tone but its not very warm and the sustain isnt great either. Great value though.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I had very limited experience with one this Labor Day at GC and I was very impressed with the build quality, sound and electronics. The body is very small and it felt a little awkward playing while sitting, but I'm pretty sure one could get used to it. That said, it really impressed me as a good value for the money.

6. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    i have a curbow retro. it was cheap, and it's really solid. wood body (agathis, methinks), and it seems a bit bigger than the luthite curbs.
    only comes in a 4-string, though. :crying: but they play really well, feel good, and even though i believe in non-violence, they're really sweet to slap.

they're kinda purty too.

[​IMG]

7. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Great basses for the price, particularly strong for slap but good alround. Bart electronics are very good, they're pretty useless for playing sitting down but just buy a strap :).

8. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I had a 6-string and it was a well-made bass. I did find it to be rather neck heavy and sort of lacking on the low end (somewhat "thin").

For the right price, though, I'd probably have another one.

9. QU!CK

QU!CK

Apr 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    So do you guys think I should trade in my Ibanez SR200L for a Cort Curbow 5?

Would this be an upgrade or just a side-step? I went to GC and played a CC5 upside-down for little while (it was right handed) and it wasn't so bad.

So what to do...hmm...sell my SR200 for the Cort Curbow 5 or maybe just hold out for a Schecter Stiletto Studio 5?

-J

10. gambit0714

gambit0714

May 19, 2004
    Suffolk, VA
    Go for the extra range get the 6. The guy that taught to play the bass has a Curbow 6 and it sounds fantastic. :bassist:

Rob :cool:

11. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I like them Corts. One of my favorite more affordable basses. Like the 4, 5, and 6. Might own a 6 someday. They are pretty terrible to play sitting down but nice standing up. I actually thought the older one with the Mighty Mite innards sounded better than the newer faux Bartolini one, but the new one sounded fine.

12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I spent over an hour A/B-ing a Cort Curbow 5 with my SR5 today and I am even more impressed than I was before. The Curbow is obviously bright since it is a great slapper, but it also has great bottom. That Curbow sounds great finger style. I tried a number of baslines like "Exodus" (Bob Marley) and some Stevie Wonder like "Do I Do" and "I Wish". I also played some olde finger style funk like "Express Yourself" and "Goodtimes" along with lots of general slapping. THis bass compares very favorably to some $1,500-2,000 basses. It is also very, very well put together. I think the Cort Curbow is now officially my favorite budget bass. I know the Tribute is probably more versatile, but for what i like to do, this is one of the best basses I have ever played in my life, and that includes the expensives basses i have owned. YMMV. :cool:

13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I also found that it was not uncomfortable to play sitting. The body is small, but I think I could get used to it very quickly. :bassist:

14. For me it was a toss up on which one to get. I originally wanted a Curbow. I found it to me very comfortable. Slapped so well it rang before ever pulling in into an amp.

Although I have to say the same for the B4 I ended up getting. I have to say for the price Cort has to be the best. My B4 has a 5 piece wenge neck with 2 maple skunk stripes. and the body is a 2 piece matched Ash body. While not a "book matched" the gains to aligned and make very close contacted. It has hipshot licensed tuners. an "eb" bridge never heard of it. But very much like the quick change bridge from hipshot. Two Bartolini MK I's and a bartolini MK I 3 band preamp. This has to be the nicest bass under $500 I ever played. And the gig bag it came with. Is one of thes extra thick. Strapped down type. Siliar to the Warwick "Softcase". This bag could easily be sold in the $70 - 100 dollar range.

Actually my father was so impressed with that bass. (my b-day present) He may go back and get the Curbow 5. THey had it in this awesome grey. Almost a titanium / graphite looking color. Suppostably a new color. But very good looking on that body shape.

Sorry if I went on and on. But I must say my Rockbass was a waste of money compared to all the Cort's I've played. All of which "list" $150-200 less than the Rockbass, too.