1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cort Curbow 5 vs Schector Stiletto Extreme 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Caminante, May 1, 2010.

1. Caminante

Caminante

Apr 30, 2010
    Argentina
    Hi guys :)

Time has come for me to upgrade. I currently use a 5 string Washburn XB-125, and I would like to upgrade to something that wont go beyond 500 bucks.

So far, the ones I like the most (feel free to comment on other brand/model, just don't forget the price range ;)) are the Cort Curbow 5 and the Schector Stiletto Extreme 5. Also, used instruments are not an option here atm (live in Argentina, and quality used gear is hard to come by).

I'm a tall, big hands, and wide arms. 6.32 (1.95 meters). Would like to squeeze as much playing advantage from that as possible and/or use a bass that would counter the disadvantages.

Got back problems Weight is an issue, couldn't handle a Les Paul for more than an hour standing.

Versatility of sound: I play more than one style and would like to be able to have good EQ and tone variety.

Quality of sound: I know that personal taste comes into play, but still, would like to know what you guys think.

Adding piezo in the future Not too familiar on how the process is for adding these mics in, nontheless, it would be nice to have that possibility in the future.

24 frets or more (like in the case of the Curbow)
    Ease of play: Fast neck, low action is a plus.

5 (preferably 6) string bass Not a HUGE factor atm (still learning to use the 5th), but does have a degree of importance. Note: neither the curbow or the stiletto have 6 strings without exceeding my budget, so it would have to be some other bass.

I Will try them both as the oportunity arises (have to order the Curbow since none of the music stores that are close by have them), but it would be alot easier after reading your thoughts, experiencies and advice :)

Anyways...:help::p and thx a bunch!

edit: mispelled "Schecter" wrong at the title :p

2. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Nov 13, 2009
    Dude, are you getting rid of that Washburn because if you are let me know! I just looked at the pics and wow... why in the world do you want to upgrade? haha... you can alwaqys upgrade its electronics

3. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    the Cort Curbow is really nice.. but the electronics lack.. or, at least the ones that have the Mighty Mite pickup/preamp do.. i've heard that the ones that have the bartolini pickup are nicer..

i'd like to find a Cort Curbow 6.. ;)

4. Caminante

Caminante

Apr 30, 2010
    Argentina
    Unfortunatelly yes, I will sell it. It only has 20 frets and its not good for what we are composing with the guitarrist in my band :(

Yup! Can't find a used cort curbow around here and the new ones all come with bartolinis, nontheless i'll doble check ;) Thanks!

Anyone else would like to tell me something about these basses that could help me decide?

5. Visti

Visti

Aug 20, 2005
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Maybe you could check out something like the Cort GB95 (or GB75, if you wanna save some bucks and have cheaper pickups), which addresses at least a couple of your points by being really, really lightweight and able to a good low action with no buzzing. And 5 stringed, of course.

6. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I've owned a Bartolini Curbow.. would again.

7. Sgt. Rock

Sgt. Rock

Apr 10, 2010
    I own a 4 and the neck is quite fast. I really enjoy mine.

8. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I've owned a few of the Schecters.. unsure if I'd mail order another one.

9. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    either one would be a double step up.

g

10. Caminante

Caminante

Apr 30, 2010
    Argentina
    I did a tour around the music stores yesterday and couldnt find this bass anywhere.
    Played the Stiletto Extreme 5 some more... and it does "feel" better than what I have right now, altho im still unsure if its actually "bang for the buck". I mean, theres probably (and hopefully) something better out there in the 500 u$d range that could suit at least some of my needs (and still no sing of cort curbows in my area :scowl:)

11. Haven't played the Schecter, but I have played the Cort and while I LOVE the feel, comfort and playability, I found the electronics limited.

12. Skip_NJ

Skip_NJ

Jun 1, 2009
    New Jersey
    I have a Cort Curbow 4 string with the faux burl finish. It is made almost entirely of plastic/synthetic stuff. It smells like plastic when you take it out of the case, and has a plastic kind of feel. It sounds decent and I used it for a while, but you cant be seated and play it because the lower horn is so small. It has the Bart electronics and the preamp doesnt work anymore ( yes I tried changing batteries.) When it did work it had a dark sound, plenty of mid-mids, lower mids, and lows but not much top end. It has a very thin neck. I would rate it like 5/10. You should look into MTD Kingston basses- very nice players, construction, and features. I would get one if I was shopping for a bass thats <$800. I played a neckthru Schecter Riot that impressed the heck out of me too FWIW. You should be able to find both on the used market in your price range

13. Sgt. Rock

Sgt. Rock

Apr 10, 2010
    That's strange, my Cort Curbow has very sharp, brittle sounding highs, especially with the slap switch engaged, to the point that I leave dead strings on it.

The burl is the newer finish, if I'm not mistaken. If you just bought it and the electronics have already died, I'd be contacting Cort to see what customer service can do for you.

14. Skip_NJ

Skip_NJ

Jun 1, 2009
    New Jersey
    Nah I purchased this bass 6 years ago now. It died last year. I have always used DR LoRiders on it, and there was always something funky going on with the tone and gain pots on the back, which is where I suspect the problem with the preamp lies.

15. Sgt. Rock

Sgt. Rock

Apr 10, 2010
    What does the burl look like? I'm familiar with the newer ones but I don't think I have seen the older finishes.

16. Skip_NJ

Skip_NJ

Jun 1, 2009
    New Jersey
    The burl is photo-finished on in satin/not-glossy. From a few feet away it looks good but up close you can see pixelation in the "grain".

17. Sgt. Rock

Sgt. Rock

Apr 10, 2010
    That sounds...horrible, to be honest.

Mine is a mettalic red sparkle, like a bass boat. Much better.

18. zombie thread rises again.

any fresh opinions on this comparison?

i'm looking to try 5 string on for size in the $500ish range & these 2 seem like solid contendors. look nice too. Bartolini vs Schecter pickups? vs used Schecter with the EMG-Hz's?

I mainly noodle in my garage on electronic rock type jams. going for a Massive Attack, Floyd, NIN, with some Ambient, Shoegaze & Metal thown in.
    Currently playing an Ibanez agb140 semihollow & looking for a good bang for the buck solid body to add to the lineup that don't hurt to look at.