Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cort Curbow 6 as a travel sized 6 string bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bad_andy, Dec 14, 2005.

1. bad_andy

bad_andy

Sep 21, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    I was surfing the 'Bay this morning and I came across this listing for a Cort Curbow 6. After doing some checking at the Harmony Central reviews, the TB archives and on Google it looks like:

1) For a sub $500 bass, people think that they play and sound good and have a servicable B string.

2) Apparently they're pretty small for an extended range bass with a tiny body and tightish string spacing. I'm thinking that this in a guitar gig bag might be a great bass for holiday/vacation travelling.

3) Cort's not making any more of them and people seem to be hanging onto them, so getting my hands on one means buying used when they pop up.

OK, current/former Cort Curbow 6 owners, I'd love to hear from you. Would you advise jumping on this one? It a good axe for the money or would you recommend looking else where. Small spacing doesn't bother me, but neck dive and lousy B strings do. Suggestions? :)

2. i wouldnt consider a 34" scale travel size :rolleyes:

3. bad_andy

bad_andy

Sep 21, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Well, travel sized compared to my Streamer 6 ... :D (Thing's got a neck like a surfboard and a HUGE body.)

4. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I use a Zon Sonus 5/1 as a travel bass. Just get the SKB rolling case and check it, you're good to go. I use it in a gigbag for car travel (although sometimes I use the Steinberger Spirit 5 for that).

5. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
  6. bad_andy

bad_andy

Sep 21, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Bump. Any Cort Curbow owners out there that would weigh in? :)

Thanks for the feedback. I'd love to own a Zon as a gigging bass in it's own right, but it's out of my price range at the moment. I'd love to hear about how Escape works out, but I'd like to have something with all the strings that I use when I play out. :bassist:

7. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    I understand, but in reality you probably won't find a good 5-stringer travel bass for under $2k. The Zon Vinny 5-string would be great, yet it's about $1849 base price. I love the Vinny's. I actually asked about a 6 stringer... ah, someday.

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The Guild/DeArmond Ashbury is the ultimate travel bass.

I've read nothing but good things about the Cort Curbow, and the ones I've had in my hands have been very nice.

9. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Is that the one with silicone strings? Personally, I'd rather have a realistic feel.

10. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    My Zon was "well-used" when I got it, and I probably have about $700-$800 into it.

The bass player in one of the more popular local bar bands plays a Cort Curbow and gets a decent sound out of it. It sure hasn't hurt their popularity any.

11. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I have the cort curbow four string but played the five and I wish I would have got it instead. It is a very "special" bass. Very agile, light weight, and a "modern" tone with a lot of options for getting a wide variety of tones. You honestly can't beat it.

12. I've got a Cort Curbow 6. Love it. Get 'em while you can as they're becoming harder to find...a couple on Ebay lately.

Travel-wise though, it's not a super compact instrument...comparable to just about any other fullsize 6er I've ever played/owned.