Cort Curbow 6, not Completey Happy

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Poon, May 29, 2003.

1. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Fellow Talk Bass members. I know that this topic has come up several times before, but I fear that none of the other threads that i looked at gave me an conclusive answers. I want to know for those of you who have thought of the same problem (not being happy with the sound of their cort curbow), how did you go about fixing it. Selling the Cort Curbow 6 isn't really an option because they are so cheap in the first place the residual value on them is nothing and nobody wants them...blah blah blah...but more importantly I still like the bass. It sounds "Good", but I know it could sound "<INSERT ADJECTIVE THAT IS SYNONOMOUS WITH GREAT>":D

1.) I could replace the pickup. (The MK-1)
    2.) I could replace the Preamp (Fishman?)
    3.) I could replace both at the same time?
    4.) I could replace one or the other first and see where to go from there.

I'm thinking that the preamp is probably the first thing that has to go. If I were to get a new preamp, what should I be considering?

1.) Bartolini for sure
    2.) EMG
    3.) Basslines (Seymore Duncan)
    4.) Aguilar
    5.) Other Suggestions

And which particular model pre-amp from any of these comapnies have any of you found to be worthwhile with this bass configuartion.
    What have all of you found to work and to sound good? Your help is much appreciated.
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I believe that all of the Korean basses with the MK-1 p/u's have the MK-1 pre-amp. I had 2 Lakland Skylines & they both had Fishman battery compartments.

I had a SkyLine 55-01 with the same p/u's & pre-amp as yours & I personally liked it ALOT!!!!! I thought the p/u's sounded great passive & the pre-amp was very good for the money. That being said, if you were set on changing something, I would cahnge the pre-amp 1st cause IMO, the p/u's sounded great in passive mode.
    6.) Sadowksy outboard pre-amp/pedal.
    Since the bass has a pre-amp on off switch, I would get an outboard pre-amp so you're not messing with the insides of the bass & if you're gonna have someone install the on-board, it's gonna cost a pretty penny.