Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cort Curbow 6 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nuk3m, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    Hey guys,

Ive tried a cort curbow 4 and i though it was pretty good but i cant get a hand on one of the 6er's because they are only available down here by special order. I am interested in a 6 string and loved this 4 string bass.

Any have any experience with this bass in a 5 or 6 string version.

Thanks for your time. :smug:

2. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Had a 5 for a year or so. Amazing bass. Faster neck than my SR5. Just some lo-mid bump that's hard to tame (mine was the Mighty Mite version, not Bartolini). Good B string. Not that good EQ section. I gave a G&L L-1505 (which I hated) to a guy that gave me this Cort Curbow 5 plus some money and was very happy with it. Had to sell it (didn't use it much, too many basses at home, wife gets pissed off, usual stuff...).

ANDRUCA

3. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I played a fretless 5 for an hour or so one time... while not my cup of tea at all in terms of sound/feel, seemed a solid instrument for the price. Better in my opinion than most others in the price range.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I had a Cort Curbow 5 for about a week and then I swapped it for a 1987 Guild Pilot in great condition. The Cort is a great sounding, very light bass. It has nice string spacing and a good B string. The fretboard smells a bit like gasoline, but beyond that, I had no problems with the bass.

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    My first OWN 6 String was a Cort Curbow 6 String.

I had it for a year, and had a real bartolini pickup installed from the factory. (It was one of the first Cort Curbow 6) It was lake placid blue.

The finish is great, and the neck is actually very good.
    The tone does not have a lot of growl and the phenolic fingerboard contributed to having more of a thump instead of growl. Nice highs. Very accurate fretwork and stability (thanks again to the ebonol fretboard).
    Low action! It has some issues with neck diving, due to the dual truss rods and small body. Overall its a great bass for the money.

If you dont care about neck diving, and love low action and playability vs tone. GO FOR IT!

The bridge on that thing is great, very massive and sunk into the body.

I also had a 5 String Fretless Cort Curbow. I was known as the Cort Curbow advocate in here a while ago.

6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I will post some pics tonight, so you can see how good the neck/fretwork is. I believe I also have a soundclip of me tapping the CC6.

7. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    Thanks Luis for the feedback very helpfull.

The curbow i played had quite abit of punch on it and what i thought was alot of growl. but anyways id love to hear whatever clips you have of your curbows.

Thanks again dude.

8. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Well the Growl IS there, as long as the strings are new.

It could have been the Strings fault, because I had nickels back then and I used to kill them in a day or 2. Now Im more into stainless.

9. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Here are the pics I offered.
    One of the neck and the other full body.

Notice the neck is very straight.

10. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Another pic of the neck, and an old picture of me with it...

11. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    looks sweet man, do you have those sound clips?

12. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I forgot...

Well, I just found it, its a bit crappy, but I think it will serve your purposes...
    (The playing is awfull at the ending, so... dont critizice it, I already know... after all its an old clip when I was learning to tap.)

Luis Fabara Curbow 6 Tapping

13. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    Cool dude, thet helped alot, the tapping wasnt that bad!

Do you have any other clips? or even full band mixes with the bass in there?

14. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    sadly.. No..

I only have clips with my Lakland and Modulus wich were the basses I used to record my band´s CD.

15. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    ahh ok fair enough thanks anyways man, Got any other pics?

16. h2_ro56

h2_ro56

Oct 19, 2005
    Actually...it's more of a bug spray smell. Well, at least there are no bugs in the system (nyuk nyuk nyuk). I have one myself.

17. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I had one and I'll offer the pluses and minuses, IMHO:

Pluses:

- Nice, playable neck that had wide string spacing (which I liked), but which was thin, front to back (which I also like). The neck was my favorite thing about the bass.

- Some people don;t like Korean Barts, but I liked them, though obviously not as much as the American ones

- The hardware was good - the tuners maintained tuning quite well and the bridge seemed to be solid

- The ebonol fretboard provided a nice, snappy tone, as fretboards go and the fretwork was excellent.

- The neck joint was quite sound (5 bolts, I think?) and fitted nicely into the body, giving it a bolt-on/neckthru hybrid feel and tone - nice sustain as a result

Minuses

- The neckdive was just too much for me, which was one of the main reasons I got rid of it.

- The luthite construction never really suited me. The tone of the bass seemed a bit thin and I attribute this, at least partially, to the composite construction. Plus, I was always worried that the upper horn might break off for some stupid reason.

- I had the faux burled-wood finish and I hated it. Up close, it looked like the finish came straight off of a dot matrix printer and it looked too fake, even from afar. I would get a solid color if I were to get one again.

- I'm more traditional by nature when it comes to body shapes, so I never really liked the shape of this bass.

- Hard to play sitting down

So how would I rate it overall? For someone looking for a 6-string who does not possess my biases, I think it's one of the best deals out there for a 6-string. It is well-constructed, plays great and, if you don't mind the minuses I mentioned above, you'll likely enjoy it.

18. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    The string spacing is 17mm, it isnt wide.. it is actually narrow.

19. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    That sounds really good. Are there and effects or tone controls in the chain, or is it just the bass?

20. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Just chorus.
    And it was added on cakewalk, its not a pedal or rack.