Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cort Curbow 6.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by christos, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Does anyone know if this comes in fretless? The Curbow 6?
    Thanks....

I checked the website, and it does not even show the regular 6......

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Sadly, no.
    They dont come in Fretless, thats why I bought a 5 String Cort Curbow Fretless instead.

Anyway, Greg gave me the option to have a Customized Cort Curbow 6 with Fretlines.
    He would defret it and put lines instead.
    He wont charge too much for the job.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Greg also sells the Cort basses directly. I guarantee his price is better than any other place that you will find it new. Give him a call at 706-374-2873, and he'll tell you what your options are.

I've known him for a long time, and he's a great guy to work with. You won't be disappointed.

Jason

4. All I am saying is, It's in the making....

I talked to Greg today, mailed him a check, and now I wait.......:D

For the record, he is excellant to work with...

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Yes, he is great to work with.
    Can you tell me via Email or PM How much are you paying?
    Dont forget to get a Case too!!

6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Hey man.. did you got your C.Curbow 6FL yet?

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think Cort makes a 6FL...it's just not listed is all. That's what I seem to remember anyway...

8. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    No, Cort does not make a 6 String Curbow Fretless.

9. It has arrived, and it sounds great!!! Sorry, but I must go and do unecessary slides up and down the neck. Talk to y'all later. BTW I will get some pics posted as soon as I break down and buy a dig camera.

10. How much is the 6? my birthday is comin up so i might put that into conderation if it isn't too much. i like the curbow 4. how is the b-string? the e string wasn't too great on the 4 so im a lil spooked bout the 6.

11. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    The Curbow 6 String is about $600 from Marsmusic.com
    But you can do a lot better directly from Greg Curbow at greg@curbow.com
    He may offer you a preamp/pickup upgrade for a good price an/or a Harshell Case.

The B String is good, not excellent.
    It sounds great if the Bass is properly setup and Im fine with it.

12. The 6 lists for $895, however they don't make a fretless. Gregg Curbow defretted one for me the whole thing delivered costs $800 even, the nice thing about him defretting it is that it has lines unlike the 4 and 5 fretless.

I can see why you are afraid of the B string on the 5 and 6, I noticed the stock strings seem to be very light guage, the B seems to be .120 tops. I prefer a .130 or even .135 on all my basses, the heavier guage gives it thick tight lows. I will be changing the stock strings by the weekend.

I would have to say in the $1000 or less price range, there is no better 6 fretless. Now keep in mind I have played better fretless basses, but not in that price range.

BTW lobster_boy, you are only about 2-3 hours away from Curbow's workshop, I would check that place out.

13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Curbow's shop is a lot of fun. I remember about 10 years ago when he had the shop at his house, and I'd have to make sure I didn't run over chickens. :D

14. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    That's a lame excuse. Buy a scanner or have the pictures developed as a Photo CD. Both ways are a lot cheaper than crappy digital cameras! :cool:

15. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Now I know where his accent comes from.

16. I know its not the strings forum, but i also have a fretless cort curbow 5, and i was wondering what strings you guys use on yours. Im planning on changing what i have now and i wanted some ideas for a warm, yet growly tone.. and without eating up my fingerboard!

17. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I use Ernie Ball Slinky 6 String sets.
    I tune my C. Curbow ADGC with this sets and have great results.
    Dont worry about the roundwounds eating your fingerboard (use nickel strings), that Ebonol fingerboard is extremely resistant to wear.

18. Well, ive been using round extra-light ghs boomers (nickel too) for not so long, and i can already see some marks on my fingerboard. Thats part of the reason why i want to change them. Any tricks to remove the marks before i put on the new set?

19. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Dont worry about those small marks, they wont get any deep.
    I use a Product called BLACK CHROME from Turtle Wax.
    It is normally used for car interiors/exteriors to bring out the black shine. I have found that it works great on the Ebonol fingerboard and effectively removes most of the marks.
    Just make shure you wipe it off before putting the strings.