Cort Curbow.... Any opinions??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lostatrout, Nov 21, 2002.

1. lostatrout

lostatrout Guest

Nov 20, 2002
    Bethel, Vermont
    I recently purchased a 5 string Cort Curbow bass but have not had much time to play it yet. I just wanted to see if any of you have any opinions on the Curbow fretless. Is there any other fretless basses that you would compare it to? I'm still a little skeptical about it being built out of man made materials. To me, there is nothing like wood. So, whataya think?

2. Mike,

I have a Cort Curbow 5 fretless. In a word, it's just awesome. I love the light weight and it has Bartolini electronics. I was skeptical at first on the Ebonol fretboard, but I think it's just great. Really smooth.

The MTD Kingston fretless basses also have this material. It's very hard and durable. I'd still probably recommend flatwound strings even though roundwounds will leave less marks then on a wood neck.

If you buy a new one, get it from Greg Curbow directly. He's very helpful, has cases for less money than others. He will not only set up the bass, he'll hand sign it.

There are ususally a few of these floating around on eBay. I used to have a fretted 4 I bought on eBay, but read on. If you DO buy a used one, bear this in mind:

1 - Make sure you get a newer one. I had a 98 model and the neck was bowed (probably more from the prior owner than the mfg). New necks from Cort are hard to get and will run you $200.

2 - The newer models have the Bartolini pickup. The old ones have the MightyMite. Huge difference in sound.

3 - The new ones come with a LIFETIME warranty from Cort, so if you buy used you get NO warranty.

I agree, there's nothing like wood. But in the price category, the Cort Curbows are just great. If you want fretlines, go for an MTD Kingston. If you really want wood, get a Carvin!:cool:
  3. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    Yeah, I'll second that. I love mine....I love it so much in fact I'm looking for an excuse to play it in my punk band. :D
  4. lostatrout

lostatrout Guest

Nov 20, 2002
    Bethel, Vermont
    I bought it off of E-bay and according to the seller, it is 1 1/2 years old. When did they introduce the bartolini pick-ups in the Curbow?
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've played them in a local shop. Great bass.
  6. I think they started with the Bartolini's about a year ago. I bought fretless in May 2002.

I'm not exactly sure, but a good clue might be the truss rod cover. The newer ones tend to be gold with black lettering. My old 4 was black with gold lettering (with the Mightymite).

If you see pics of these basses on eBay and can spot silver lettering on the pickup, that's a Mightymite. The Bartolini lettering is much harder to see in a pic. Also, the Bartolini will have a rounder shape on the edges than a Mightymite.

Bear in mind, if you bought a bass from someone who claims it's 1 1/2 years old, they may have bought a bass 1 1/2 years ago that was an older version and could have been sitting around a while.