Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cort Curbow Bass Guitars - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by voionmaa, Jun 28, 2002.

1. voionmaa

voionmaa Guest

Apr 3, 2002
    Wonder if anyone has played/is playing a Cort Curbos Bass Guitar. I recently played one and am amazed at the sound. Seems to me they perform better than basses that cost 3 times as much. what do you think?

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    They are generally well regarded. I've tried some in music stores and been impressed.

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Once had a fretless fiver. Not a bad bass, and it had a decent B string. Terrible body shape to play seated, but could be overcome with a strap. The smell of the luthite takes a while to get used to. Good bang for the buck. Don't pay more than $300-$350 for one though.
    Doc

4. voionmaa

voionmaa Guest

Apr 3, 2002
    Do you think it compares to more expensive basses like G&l or Stingrays?

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Those are different beasts alltogether. Apples and oranges. The Curbow has a composite fretboard, luthite body, the slap contour, and I think (think!) they have a composite and/or polymer injected neck, which makes them different again.

However, they aren't bad basses at all. I came within a day or two of owning one a few months back. Good little basses. Hey, if Greg Curbow'll put his name on it, it can't be that bad.

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I came very close to buying a fretless Cort Curbow last summer. I was actually very impressed with them. For the price, I think they are a very good buy.

7. I've got two of them. A 6-string fretted and a 5-string fretless. I play the 6 all the time and love the way it sounds and plays. I'm not very satisfied with the fretless, but I've got one of the early models that has Mighty Mite pickups instead of Bartolinis like they have now.

8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    its one of the runner-ups for my next purchase

9. Dave -

Not to get away from the subject, but thats an insane picture under your name! Nice job.

K.

10. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Oh my. Yes, I want something like this Curbow 6er. [​IMG]

11. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    :)

12. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Arghhh..... You gave me GAS, all you!!!! Well, my birthday is coming up, so.... Maybe I'll just check the 5er fretless out, just for kicks...you never know....:D