1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cort Curbow CRW4 vs Yamaha BB614

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by too_much_time, Nov 21, 2006.

1. too_much_time

too_much_time

Nov 19, 2006
    Hi guys I'm back, I had a couple of deals fall through for my 1st bass and now I've narrowed it down to 2 contenders. I am new to this but I love the features on these two basses. I'd like something that will grow with me as I play.

ANybody have any experiences with these 2 basses?

2. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I've played both.

Yamaha BB614
    Go with this one for your first bass. It's a Yamaha, constructed in Japan (which means generally better quality then Korean-made Corts), has 2 normal pickups instead of one funky soapbar pickup, and is made of wood instead of Luthite, which sounds really bad in some cases. The Yamaha is also a lot easier to upgrade then the Curbow would be. Curbows were made for funk players and if you're starting out on bass, the 614 will do you right in every category. Even the 414 is a good choice.

3. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I play everything on my Cort; from funk to jazz mixed in with pop and boop. It works well for everything.

GM

4. Machines

Machines

Dec 1, 2005
    Birmingham, UK
    Moderator: basschat.co.uk
    They're certainly not made in Japan - i'm sure it says Taiwan on mine.

But I agree - the BB614 is a much more versatile bass than the Curbow. Not that i'm in anyway biased :eyebrow:.

5. too_much_time

too_much_time

Nov 19, 2006
    Yeah I understand that all Yamaha basses and gutar are made in their Taiwan factory. I'm not too concerned with where Yamaha's are made though, because it's a Yamaha. /end gushing about yamaha.

For other brands it'd be an issue but Yamaha just churns out quality regularly and consistently from my experience with their electric and acoustic guitars.

I'm going to go check out a used a late 90's MIK Washburn XB400 though for $200 Aussie it could be a bargain. Worse comes to worse I'll pickup a SX and mod the hell out of with a active preamp and eq. I seriously love the options it offers. I'm surprised it isn't common on electric guitars.

6. Akirabanana

Akirabanana

Dec 12, 2005
    Kingston, On
    Luthite smells funny, really!
    Go for the yamaha