Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cort Curbow Fl

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzy bass man, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Wondering if anyone has tried this fretless version.
    I've heard decent things about the ones with frets but...

Hows the tone, fingerboard and any other questions you could think to answer.

I typicaly dig growly fretless, especially the sound you can get
    from and ebony board.

Thanks

2. albass69

albass69

Dec 20, 2010
    acapulco
    lots of whoomps and fun i love the fretless sound on that bass, not in love with the neck, tends to warp

3. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I've not played one in a long time, but the fingerboard is "ebanol" which is the same compressed/synthetic wood product that Squire uses on it's fretless P and J basses. There had been some reports of less than good things about what can happen to the luthite body when exposed to extreme temperature but it's a neat instrument

If you find a used one with a strait neck it's probably a fair bet and likely not too expensive.

4. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I had one, a fretless Curbow with an extra neck fretted. I played it with the fretless neck and to be honest with you, the sound of the Curbow as a fretless is a little too thin for my taste. It's better as a fretted instrument and as a slap bass, it isn't a boomy kind of bass at all, good for a mid kind of sound. As mentioned above, the necks on these Curbows are a little suspect, I've had a few Curbow basses, my experience with them was that they often needed more truss rod adjustments than most of my other basses. While I didn't run into the situation, I imagine at some point you might end up maxing out the truss rod. I didn't keep my Curbows long enough to find out.
    There is a newer wooden body Curbow with two pickups but to my knowledge, no fretless model of this available yet.
    Screen shot 2016-03-15 at 9.30.45 PM.png

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016