1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cort/Curbow for $1000.....USED!?!?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PhatBasstard, Feb 21, 2008.

1. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Did I miss something, or did these suddenly become collectable???

I see tons of them on eBay for $439 (or less) new and shipped. Much less used. He claims this is rare and no longer made and go for about 1200. :eyebrow: I don't think a fretless was/is more expensive (Shhhh.....Don't tell him fretless has only one "t" while he's off his meds).

Take a look. Feel free to enlighten him (or me :confused:).

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/msg/579624766.html

2. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Ridiculous!!!

3. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    well, he is from las vegas...ed roman has a 4 string xt-33 (or had) for $10K...who knows, man...that's an outlandish price for that axe

4. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Hey! So am I! ;)
    But I can't speak for Ed Roman's sanity though.

Sad part is, I was sort of looking for one of these in a fretless,
    but maybe for about $300 max (used). That $1000 just floored me.

Tried to tell him, but he wouldn't hear it. He's highly delusional. :eyebrow:
    I can't, for the life of me, tell what he thinks he's got. He knows it's a Cort, but still thinks it's rare, no longer made, sold for $1200 :eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow:, and somehow worth $1000 used. :scowl::rollno::scowl::rollno:

5. stevebasshead

stevebasshead

Apr 20, 2006
    Blighty
    Ludicrous. They were sold as Tanglewood's here in the UK and my fretted 5 cost me the princley sum of about £350 brand spanking new.

And the photo's make it look like the strap pin is broken too, or is it just my eyes?

Mind you, if his sells for the price he's after I'll be advertising mine for even more (after all, it's got more metalwork on the neck than his fretless :smug:)

6. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    There is a big difference between the USA hand-crafted basses (made in Georgia I think) and the licensed (Chinese or Korean made) basses you can buy for $400 at GC.

This certainly looks like one of the former. I'm not sure on individual model pricing but from memory these start at $3k and some with option are easily approaching the $6k mark. So for the right buyer this bass is a bargain and the guy is probably taking quite a bath here!

7. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Thunderritter, time to take those Ray Bans off. :D

The bass in question is definitely a Cort/Curbow made in Korea, not a USA made Curbow. Look at the Cort logo on the trussrod cover.

8. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    I stand corrected - and I'm not even in the car! I'll use the late night, weary eyes excuse! Looks like quite a nice fretless though :D, albeit probably not a grands worth!

9. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    They are sweet and at the price they go for quite a deal.

10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    One question regarding body construction:

Is that Bolivian luthite or the rarer African luthite?

Riis

11. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Definitely Indonesian Luthite - you can tell be the grain pattern :D

12. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    I hear that Indonesian Luthite is now on the endangered list.

13. I love my Curbow 6, but I bought it for $400 and probably wouldn't pay any more than that for a used one.

FWIW, I think it sounds and plays as good as many $1000 basses I've laid hands on, but I think this guy's trying to take someone for some serious $$$.

14. There's a huge difference between the cheap Cort Curbow and the custom made basses from Greg Curbow and Douglas Somervell. I guess the before mentioned seller doesn't realise that his bass is just designed by Greg Curbow but manufactured by Cort in Korea.

Here you can buy some of the different models:
    http://www.thelowend.net/gallery/viewtopic.php?t=3278&sid=aba2455cfa1b7ae96a12cbb144477299

http://www.thelowend.net/gallery/viewtopic.php?t=3268&sid=aba2455cfa1b7ae96a12cbb144477299

http://www.guitar.com.au/guitars/bass/cort/curbow-series.htm

The real handmade thing is the Curbow XT33 just to mention one. But I cannot find it on the internet any more. Has been for sale for a little less than US $ 2900 about a year ago.
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=69089095

15. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Did they ever issue the Cort/Cubow 6 in a fretless version.
    They obviously did in the 5, but I've never seen a 6FL.

16. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Not your eyes. It's bent, at least.

17. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

Jul 17, 2005
    Wales, UK
    I've seen a 6FL Curbow in Cranes in Cardiff. Had a play on it, seemed quite nice but I found the body shape pretty uncomfortable. Got some nice mwah out of it but I wouldn't pay the £600 they were asking for it (roughly at our exchange rate 600 = $1200 approx I believe).

18. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    If it sells for that it's time for me to put mine up on Craig'sList! I'd even throw in a custom ATA flight case!

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm really hoping the guy himself got fleeced, and is now just trying to not take a bath.

Otherwise, I need to talk to his dealer.

20. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    I've never seen one either, If I had I would have bought it.