1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cort Curbow fretless neck question...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Metalhead119042, Mar 31, 2009.

1. I bought this bass almost 2 years ago and hardly played her because there was never something I totally liked about it. When I bought it, I asked the employee who sold it to me if they could straighten the neck and he told me that it's SUPPOSED to be bowed this ridiculous amount to keep correct intonation :meh: . Was this guy correct? Or can I go straighten the neck on my beautiful bass?

2. dystopiate

dystopiate

Feb 21, 2008
    New York City
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar
    Go ahead and tighten the truss rod. I used to have one; had about a mm of relief at the 12th and intoned fine. Strung with nylon wrapped no less.

3. Intonation?
    A fretless bass intonates wherever you place your fingers.
    That guy is full of ****.

4. Red Planet

Red Planet Banned SUSPENDED

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.
    I would get someone to set it up.

To bad my old buddy Curbow aint around no more. What a dang shame.

Morganton Georgia without Greg Curbow is just a place on a map.:crying:

5. dystopiate

dystopiate

Feb 21, 2008
    New York City
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar
    I assumed that he meant that the side markers wouldn't line up with the correct pitches unless the neck had some sort of unseemly relief. Which on my Curbow was completely untrue.

6. somervell

somervell

Aug 13, 2005
    White Stone, VA
    I am a retired luthier and am now part time doing customer service/tech support for Bartolini, Inc.
    yea he's just plain wrong. Wish we could administer some sort of guild exam to people wanting to call themselves Luthiers. Greg is sorely missed but I am around for now to do some repairs and setups on quality instruments. Let me know if I can help you to get this bass playing the way it should.
    Doug Somervell
    Somervell Guitars

7. Action is totally unrelated to intonation.

8. somervell

somervell

Aug 13, 2005
    White Stone, VA
    I am a retired luthier and am now part time doing customer service/tech support for Bartolini, Inc.
    Hate to disagree with you but that's not completely true either; especially for fretted instruments. Higher action will require more compensation at the bridge for proper intonation.

9. somervell

somervell

Aug 13, 2005
    White Stone, VA
    Reading that post again it is correct: action is unrelated to intonation. Intonation is not, however, unrelated to action. There that's got it... i think.

10. That's what I was getting at. :p

11. somervell

somervell

Aug 13, 2005
    White Stone, VA
    i was being a little bit slow.:meh:

12. We all have our moments. :D

13. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Dude's on crack. I've never heard of a neck that is supposed to be horrendously bowed.

What he may have been thinking of was that the neck and body of a Cort Curbow (being lucite) tend to warp from the string tension after years of use. I've never seen, played, or experienced this, but I've heard it happens.