Cort Curbow Owners: Can you confirm something for me?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rojo412, Sep 3, 2020.

1. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I'm working on a friend's Cort Curbow bass. You know, the ones from the late 90s/early 2000s with the bowling ball (luthite?) bodies...
    I was looking at the side of the body and saw it was like this:

IMG_7932.jpg

IMG_7931.jpg

Now I know these are molded and supposed to be kind of interesting in certain ways, emulating a carved top. But this seems like the body may be bowing inward?
    Or is that how these are supposed to be?

For what it's worth, I could easily set the action to normal playability without the bridge being set weird. I'd think if the body was bowing upward (or downward), I'd have to make drastic adjustments to the saddles. But they seem fine.

Then again, the reason I ask is because the pickup wouldn't allow itself to be raised, even with the screws out and I was actually tugging on it pretty hard with no movement. Seems like the body and neck are clamped onto the pickup.

I seriously have no idea. This seems off to me and I have no other bass like this to compare. So if anyone could give me a hand and let me know if that's how theirs is or if this is way screwed up, that would be great and I'd appreciate it very much.

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I haven't owned one since about 2004, but that looks like what I remember mine doing.

3. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    the body bow is an unfortunate affliction documented in other Curbow threads

rojo412 and Vinny_G like this.
  4. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Does the bass lay flat on it's back?
    If it does,that's the body intentional contour.

5. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    It doesn't appear to be flat, though to be fair, it rests on the battery door.
    Here's some more pics:

IMG_7933.jpg
    IMG_7934.jpg
    IMG_7935.jpg
    I honestly don't doubt that it's bent over the years. Never thought a body would benefit from having a truss rod though, amitrite? :woot:

Thanks for the info, seems like this thing is a bit off. But to be honest, the owner is too, so it's okay. :thumbsup:
    As long as I can get it to play right, all is well. At least for now...

6. eulogy77

eulogy77

May 14, 2008
    I have a black curbow body I can donate, don't remember if it's a 4 or a 5 if interested i can take a look at it today

7. BaltoNealio

BaltoNealio

Nov 19, 2016
    I bet y’all have been on the edge of your practice stool waiting for a jacktard like me to reply: Well, mebbe it’s just a self-fulfilling prophecy since it IS. Cur-BOW (rimshot)

rojo412 likes this.
  8. Jason Stock

Jason Stock

Aug 13, 2019
    Edmonton
    haha
    6025b85250b1e943c9f2b5f5ed276125992d0378aac53585409010ff1ed7773e.gif

BaltoNealio and rojo412 like this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021