Cort Curbow vs. Ibanez BTB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alx564, May 17, 2002.

1. alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Hey Guys,

Well I've been looking into six-strings for a little bit now. I've basically narrowed down my choices to two: The Ibanez BTB406QM or Cort Curbow 6.

I can't find a Curbow to play. I have the four-string version but I would really love to play the six because a big concern for me is string spacing. I want a bass with wider string space. I've played the Ibanez once and my intitial thoughts about it were good. Everything felt fine and it played well. I'm going in for a little more play time soon.

I was just wondering what some others feel about these two choices.
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The spacing on the Cort is not as wide as the BTB. About the same as a Cirrus, or a tad narrower. Wider than a Soundgear, but not much.
  3. Listen

May 19, 2002
    BTB has the playabitlity, but the cort has the sound and playabitlity.
  4. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I tried both the Cort & the BTB, I went with the BTB.

The Curbow is awkward to play sitting down, it's neck heavy, and the finger spacing was too narrow for me. I'm not a big slap/pop player - the Curbow was just too tinny sounding for me.

Try both and see which you like. Mars Music carries the Cort, and Guitar Center has the Ibanez.
  5. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    definitly the BTB i got a 5 strings, and I love it so much ...
    I try the cort and i didn find it so attractive...
  6. Listen

May 19, 2002
    right, like pat said, it's acword to sit down and play,if you,look at a picture you could see why
  7. alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Yeah I know it is awkard to sit down and play, but I own the four string model of the Curbow so I've been used to it for a while now.

I just played the BTB a couple of days ago and really loved it. I'm leaning towards that since I don't really like doing things over the internet if I can do them in person, plus its a lot cheaper at my music store.
  8. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I own a 4-string fretless Cort Curbow....I can sit and play with it...that's because when I always have the strap on, and no matter what posistion I play in, my bass is at my chest. :D Even without the strap though, I can play it sitting down....maybe not as great as my Yamaha, but I still can.
  9. I've got a Curbow 6 and I play that more than any of my other basses right now (It's the only 6 I own). I like the way it plays and the spacing is fine. I've never played a BTB but with some past experience with Ibanez, I'd think it would be swwet to play also.

10. i have played both and i own the curbow 6. I dont sit when i play so that isnt a problem for me. The curbow 6 comes stock with a bartolini pickup, while the btb406does not. However, if you really like the btb you could get a btb1006, they come with barts. The 506 might as well. Either way i like the string spacing on the curbow much better.