Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cort Curbow....what would you pay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JacksonsMen, Feb 28, 2006.

1. well theres one of these at a pawn shop here in town, been in there for quite a while (i lurk pawn shops from time to time). I cant remeber what he has on it for a price. but i do remeber it being something a bit over the top for a cort, and for a pawn shop....
    so my question. if the list for ~500.00, sell for ~350.00 new, would it be in bad form to offer this guy at most 175.00-200.00 tops? i mean it is used, and in a pawn shop...

2. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Offer what you're willing to pay. The worst that will happen is he'll just think you're a lowballer. But you might get off with a good deal. Anyway, in good shape is probably worth around $250 (ie: 70% of the new price).

On the other hand, it's a pawn shop and he probably gave some poor schmuck $100 for it, so you never know what his price will be.

3. yeah, thats what i figured, i really am in no rush to buy it, i may stop by today and give it a good once over

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Go in there with $200 cash, but only offer him $120. See if he takes it. I mean, it's a pawn shop--not your best friend. If it clears floor space, he's probably not emotionally invested in it. He might counter with $160, and meet you halfway at $140. You never know.

But, cash is key. Any credit card will result in a fee for him to process the payment, and that eats into any profit. Cash is king. Especially at pawn shops.

5. yeah, thats how i started playing bass to begin with, tag said 180, i went in with 150, offered 100.00 and walked out with it for 120.00