1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cort Curbow....what would you pay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JacksonsMen, Feb 28, 2006.

1. well theres one of these at a pawn shop here in town, been in there for quite a while (i lurk pawn shops from time to time). I cant remeber what he has on it for a price. but i do remeber it being something a bit over the top for a cort, and for a pawn shop....
    so my question. if the list for ~500.00, sell for ~350.00 new, would it be in bad form to offer this guy at most 175.00-200.00 tops? i mean it is used, and in a pawn shop...

2. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Offer what you're willing to pay. The worst that will happen is he'll just think you're a lowballer. But you might get off with a good deal. Anyway, in good shape is probably worth around $250 (ie: 70% of the new price).

On the other hand, it's a pawn shop and he probably gave some poor schmuck $100 for it, so you never know what his price will be.

3. yeah, thats what i figured, i really am in no rush to buy it, i may stop by today and give it a good once over

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Go in there with $200 cash, but only offer him $120. See if he takes it. I mean, it's a pawn shop--not your best friend. If it clears floor space, he's probably not emotionally invested in it. He might counter with $160, and meet you halfway at $140. You never know.

But, cash is key. Any credit card will result in a fee for him to process the payment, and that eats into any profit. Cash is king. Especially at pawn shops.

5. yeah, thats how i started playing bass to begin with, tag said 180, i went in with 150, offered 100.00 and walked out with it for 120.00