Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cort Curbow

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bradweiser, Sep 16, 2004.

1. First of all, I have searched related topics to this, but they haven't given me the answers I was looking for.

The Curbow is well within my price range as I've decided to move up to a 5 string, and I really haven't heard anything bad about it.
    Well built, good hardware and pickups, sounds good etc.

However I have read that the body over a period of time (say a few years) has began to warp.
    Now since most bass review sites (harmony central etc) feature reviews by people who have had the bass for a month or two, I haven't really been able to find much information from people who have had their Curbow for a few years.

So, if anyone has been a long time Curbow owner, I'm really interested in finding out what you think of it in terms of quality etc, and if there have been any serious problems (like bowing).

Thanks for your help.

2. maxy

maxy

Jun 24, 2004
    I own a curbow 5 made in korea. I wudnt say much coz this is my first but i dropped it from like a 3 ft table 2x and now it makes these funny sounds on the neck-body joint which makes the string height and tune go slightly higher and lower. Dont know if its supposed to happen. Bought in nepal from korea.

i tried adjusting the intonation on the b-string and it has been virtually impossible to perfect it. Its like g,d,a,e slight changes in the box thingys to adjust intonation/string height and the b way back but still not perfectly intonated.

The bowing i think happens to almost every bass. I travel betn 2 places a total of 4x a year and i have to change it like 2x/1x in one place. Maybe its just that the bass is near the cold wind blowing window.

3. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    I had a Cort Curbow 4 for 2 years now and the black paint is wearing off off the luthite body in high wear areas leaving the yellowish luthite to show through. I don't play out so it's not like I abuse the bass (just me pluckin' around downstairs).

I turned it into a piccolo for a while which was fun but I now have taken it apart for a bass project!

Jon

4. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I've had one for 1 year now (but 1999 model, bought it used) and it didn't bow at all. The neck is even faster than mi Stingray 5's and action can be setup super slow with no fret buzz. Tone shapong is one of the weak spots in this bass. I have the Mighty Mite version (not the newer Bartolini equiped) and it produces a very loud mid-bass (from 125 to 250 Hz), that you can get rid of with EQ, of course. The B string is better than that of any bass in it's price range, no doubt. I've got mine for sale because I don't use it anymore as it's sound doesn't fit in any of my projects. Bery good bass (extremely recomendable as your first 5er ever).

ANDRUCA

5. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    I had one for a few months, about 4 years ago. My ma got it for me for christmas, I just didn't like the output level on it. Very low, the body was fine. I had it in the baby blue color, I loved the fretboard. But still, they are alot better if you add some active electronics in it.

6. zero7

zero7

Apr 16, 2004
    You'll be happy to know that the new model is made entirely of wood.
    I just saw one last week-end, which had a walnut body and some kind of exotic brown wood for the neck.
    Vendor said they changed a few other things as well.

It looked FAR better than the old synthetic model.
    Can't wait to see the fretless version... :D

7. I've got a Cort Curbow 6 w/ the Bartolini electronics and I'm pretty happy with it. As was said before, you can get the action really, really low without fretbuzz - that said, I think mine has one fret (either the 23rd or 24th) that is too high in one spot, and causes buzzing on the D string near the end of the neck. The neck is fast and comfortable. The low B is tight, and the neck itself seems pretty rigid... the 6s have dual truss rods to compensate for the neck width, the 5s probably have one. Tone-wise, I actually find it to be a little dark, at least compared to the MTD Kingston 5 I had. It's a Hi-Fi, modern kind of sound, I guess. It can be EQ'd so it cuts pretty well, but without any EQ, I think it gets lost in a mix too easily. I use mine primarily for playing at home and for working on soloing. I think it would be a pretty good first 5, though I'm not sure it would be as good as an MTD Kingston 5, which I don't think is any more expensive.

8. joninjapan

joninjapan

Aug 13, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan
    I owned a fretless 5 for a couple years, got rid of it when I got my Tacoma fretless 5. The Cort Curbow was great, very flexible tone and easy to play. Most of all it was the best value bass I have bought, with the exception of my B2B Hohner.
    ;)

9. i like them, the body, the sound n all...ive tried the 4, 4 fretless and 5 fretted, i liked em..a little wierd sitting down playing them at first..the other cort bass i wanna try is the TM Stevens funk macine..with the built in auto wah

10. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Is their a site that shows these new ones? I never heard of such a change.The cort site says nothing about it

11. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I'm more concerned with the smell of the luthite. I had an Ibanez EDB600.. I had to give myself a dirty sanchez with lysol to avoid smelling the horrid luthite.

12. zero7

zero7

Apr 16, 2004
    The only info I could find on the web comes from this site.

[​IMG]

13. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Wow. Im gasing now. I need more info on these and were to get one.

14. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal

You bet, that material has a real funky smell to it, I was even afraid of smoking near the things thinking they would explode or something, seemed like petrol smell to me.

15. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I was afraid it would melt on hot days in the sun :p.

16. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Then you would have a melted top bass! :D

17. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Exactly! Why get a 3000$ Conklin when I could get a melted top with an Ibanez EDB and a sunny day.

18. i didnt notice the smell of those luthite ibanez'z, i liked the one i played though, edb 600 or some rubbish like that..i really dont like the other 2 luthite ones though

19. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    That's the one I had.. I liked it at first, but it became horrible quite quickly.. I liked the EDC.. I wish it was wood though.