Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cort Curbow

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jasmedia, Mar 30, 2001.

1. jasmedia

jasmedia

Feb 4, 2001
    Anyone own one of these? comments please

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I own two, please feel free to ask.

3. SantosL.Halper

SantosL.Halper

Sep 27, 2000
    I have the Curbow 6. Jammed with it for 5+ hours last night. Love it much. But, I certainly defer to Luis re: information.

They can be had pretty cheaply. I got mine like new with HSC for $500, although upon receiving it was rather dismayed to see an aged Godin HSC! But, inside was indeed the near new CC6, and the case was still in decent shape, so I didn't mind.

4. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    ok, i just sold my american hot-rodded p-bass with bassline pu's to get 2 basses. First one, cort a4fl, is amazing. the other, cort curbow really dissapointed me. i played one many times before in stores for short periods of time. it was kinda fun. i now have one, i bought the walnut finish, and i have some serious balancing problems while sitting. and the volume knob is in a bad place for sitting and playing, your leg turns it down all the time. the sound is ok. good for slapping. not for tapping. you can get some good difft. sounds out of it though. nice light feel. deep cutaway. but all in all, i am returning mine very soon. it just doesn't perform right for me. but, it could work for you, just play one for about 30 min. and not 2, or 3.

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Not for tapping??
    I tap the hell out of mine!
    I have the action so low that it is just incredible for tapping.

6. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    how did you set it low like that. my bridge is as far down as it can go, and the action is still crazy high.

7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Because Im a World Recognized PRO-Luthier!!!
    :D
    Hehe , No, I actually made some mods to the bass. (It had low action being stock anyway)
    I have most of my strings (except low B and E) set at about 1/16" on my 6 String Cort Curbow.
    How did I manage to do it without bottoming the bridge?

Simple. Since it is bolt-on is easy to change the overall angle of the neck (or TILT) , so what I did is to put a small shim (I used a 1cent coin) under the neck betwen the first 2 screws (closer to the bridge).
    Doing that increased the basic neck to body to bridge angle.

That way, the strings got higher at the bridge and the pickup, but lower at all the fretboard.
    The playability was bastardly increased while preserving the tone and sustain(use metal shims to achieve this)
    The neck is very straight with almost no relief.
    Please feel free to ask anything, specially if you want to do this to your bass.

8. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    lfabara, this is where i say, why didn't i think of that. wow, that is a great idea. i see how that could be modified easily, and increase the playability. right now my action is at 1/4", which seems to be high. i don't know though. i have my eye on a real nice fender j right now. i'll see what happens within the next couple weeks, but thank you.

9. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    1/4" ????
    THATS CRIMINAL!!!!!!!

I hope it performs great if you decide to mod it.

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'll be going up to Curbow's shop on Saturday to have him do some mods on my Custom 5 string Int'l Petite. Curbow was telling me about a mod he does to the Cort Curbow basses, too. I think he drops an EMG 18-volt preamp and does some other stuff to 'em, too. I will ask him what all the upgrade includes, and let you guys know about it if you have any interest. I keep toying with the idea of grabbing one of the Cort 6 strings, but I've decided to have Curbow build one for me custom. It'll be my third one. Great instruments.

11. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    ok, i spent a few hours tonight setting up my bass, and now it is deffinately a groovin' demon. this thing is so dang versitile. it taps now. hooray. i am very happy with the results. i can't wait 'till everyones not asleep, so i can jam on this bad boy. so, if you play one that's set-up is all wacked out, spend some time with it and you should be able to get great results. thanks LFabara.

12. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    :)
    I knew that was it...
    Im very happy that you did it to your bass and finally got what you paid for.

Congratulations.

13. how are Korean made curbows in comparison to american ones? I played a 5 string fretless this weekend that i was in Montreal, and i loved it. It was the first time i ever tried one, but i was kind of disappointed to see that it was korean. Not that i have anyting against that, but you know how generally the american versions are better quality (like in fenders). Notice how i said generally, please no flames.

It was for around $700 canadian, i dont know what the xchange rate is. I think it would be around $470 american, but i could be wrong. Is this a good deal?

Thanx for the info.

14. SantosL.Halper

SantosL.Halper

Sep 27, 2000
    Mars Music here in Denver sells the fretted 5 for $430. I suppose a fretless might be a little more (which is always a puzzle-more $$$ for not having to install frets?).

Also, it seems like someone in one of there Cort threads had a fretless 5 for sale-you might get a better deal.

I have the Cort 6 with the Bart PUP and love it...-SLH

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass, fireglo! A great place to chat with other bassists and generally waste time.

The price that you were quoted is about right for the fretless model.

As for Korean vs American?

Well, let me put it to you this way. The American made Curbows have a rockwood neck, which is about as stable as graphite, and are awesome, custom made basses. They also list for $2700 and up for a 5 string, and the Petite, which is what the Corts(Korean) are modeled after list for $3695 and up.

So while there is no doubt that the USA models are better, the 2 real questions are:

• Can you afford one?
    • How do the Cort models compare with other basses in their price range

If you can afford the USA model, hey, more power to you, and I am very happy for you. They are awesome!

If you cannot(like a lot of us;)) afford the USA models, the Corts compare very favorably with other basses in their price range. Good basses for the money.

16. Hey, thanx for info, santos and embellisher.
    So it seems like the prices that you guys were talking about was for Korean corts all along. That's allright, there is no way i'm buying a cort for more than $500. There is about 5 basses i know i'd buy before the cort if i had the $3000 to afford it, hehe.

Yeah, i think i saw something about someone selling a curbow, but i dont know if it was a fretless 5, which is what i want. Was it Brad Johnson or something similar? Im sorry if i wrote your name totally wrong. Maybe i'll do a search and see, you are right, i might get a better deal, though i wont be able to try before i buy, but maybe i'll trust a fellow bassist.

Btw, the material on the fingerboard is awesome! it almost looks like a double bass or something. I think this a definite fretless to use with roundwounds. Thats JMHO, though :).

17. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Well, actually the "American" Curbows have nothing to do with Cort.
    They are Custom Handmade by a Luthier named Greg Curbow, and they are worth its value.

The material on the fingerboard is called "Ebonol" wich is a phenolic resin and it is indeed great for a fretless.

18. well, i found the note where some guy had the exact bass i want for sale, for $400.
    That's $70 cheaper than buying it new, which might be an ok deal, except:

Last time i had a bass shipped to canada, they charged me $150 ($100 american) for the stupid customs, plus the wait, plus not being able to try it first....

Naah, i think i'll just buy it in Montreal..

I'm going there again this weekend, so next week you guys might be talking to the owner of a brand new cort! :)

19. SantosL.Halper

SantosL.Halper

Sep 27, 2000
    Sounds good Fireglo. Just a note, but I think Luis noted earlier that Curbow is thinking of upgrading the Cort 4's and 5's to BArtollini pups and preamp (like on the 6's). I hear mixed things re: the MityMite electronics, and someone had their 5 string converted to Bart. for around $200. Anyway, I love the way my 6 plays, and the 5 fretless is my 2d choice behind the Godin A5 fretless (which also gets great reviews and are made in Canada I think. You may want to check them out-priced very close to Cort, with very nice electronics and ebony 'board)...-SLH