Cort Curbow's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Jan 12, 2003.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Hey all

Ive been really gasing latley over Curbows. I havent heard much hoo-haa over them around here. are they as good as they look? Ive done a search and it hasnt come up with much. I dont want a 5, i either want to go back to a 4, or head up to a 6. I like the fact that they body is small, light but yet tough.

I have read the low-down on the slap switch, and i still have no idea what it really does. Someone want to explain?

A review on says (the 6) has been compared to a SR506, 1026, 1306 and kicks them all. On the same site, another person reviewed the 4 and sayed he is scared of breaking it because it is so small, and then tuners arent that crash hot, the go out-of-tune really easily, but it has alot of "ping" acoustically, and an even meatier sound plugged in.

If i did get one, id like to put another pickup in, im just not sure if
    A) this is a good thing to do
    B) if i did do it, what pickup and where.

Other than that, what can you guys tell me about them? Owners, are you happy? Pro's, con's ect ect

Thanks heaps!
  2. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I have played a 4 and a 6 Cort Curbow. I tought they were really comfortable to play. I was not too fond of teh luthite body, it kind of takes away from it a little. I believe that these basses use to come with Barts but now come with the classey brand Mighty Might. PErsonally if I found one at a good price I would get it...but thats jsut my opinion.
  3. I really kinda like the Curbows. I was trying to win one on ebay a while back. The only problem I see is bass players using them when they shouldn't. They just don't sound good in rock bands. Out front no matter how you set them they sound weak at the knee's, thorugh the amp and PA; it may be the body. However I would like one instead of my super heavy P. (I can't believe I just said that!)
  4. I have a fretless 5, which I love and I just bought a fretted 6. I also used to have a fretted 4.

The Bartolini pickup makes a huge difference. If you buy one used, look for the truss rod cover with black on gold (indicates a newer model) rather than gold on black.

I'm really not an Ibanez fan which is why I went and got the fretted 6. If you're going to buy new, call Greg Curbow. He can also do custom options on them.
  5. I had a 4 and liked it alot but found that my physical size was NOT a good match for the Curbow "Petit" body. I couldn't get the body slung in the proper place for my left hand position.

I don't think you should consider a second pup with these things. The body is so small that you wouldn't have much room if at all and that might cramp where you can actually rest your hand to pluck.

The neck was one of the fastest I've played and very comfortable. I also really liked the Ebanol fretboard (without dots - yea!!)

Greg is now offering, in his custom line, a slightly larger body. Same shape and all but just a hint bigger and that seems to be even better than the petit for big guys like myself.

And the reason you don't read much about them is that the line is several years old by now and it's new sparkle has sort of run it's course.
  6. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    The only reason i really wanted another pickup was that id want more control over the sound, but i dont know what they really sound like as they do. By that i mean id like to be able to switch pickups and have more conrtol over the sound. :D And id also have another place to rest my thumb, as i dont really like playing as far foward like most players. But hey, thats me.

Oh and another thing, id get fret dots, i cant play without them. Damn...