1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cort Doubles Down on Jazz Pickups in Latest GB7 Electric Bass

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Jun 13, 2017.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (June 13, 2017)Raising the bar on instrument design often means incorporating cutting-edge features on a time-proven model. That’s what Cort set out to accomplish with its GB Series of electric bass guitars. Within this series, the GB7 models combine a proven body and bridge design with enhanced electronics, machine heads, and more for the best of the past and future. The newest addition to the GB7 line—the 4-string GB74JJ with double jazz pickups—continues the seamless integration of classic and modern in one stunning instrument.

The GB74JJ’s two VTB-ST pickups were carefully chosen with consideration to this instrument’s swamp ash body, and are voiced to deliver a legendary jazz tone. Crafted with winding materials that maximize high and low frequencies, the refined design of these pickups provides a unique noiseless performance. The electronics are also specially engineered, providing for two bands of tone control as well as master volume and pickup blend controls, with the ability to switch from active to passive thanks to a provided push-pull pot.

Players will also note the GB74JJ’s solid construction, starting with the Omega Bridge, an important sonic enhancement made from high-density die-cast Zinc that’s rock solid, yet fully adjustable. The countered neck joint on this model provides better fret access and comfort with a sleek look. Both the neck and fingerboard (21-fret, 34’’ scale) are satin maple. Gig ready, the GB74JJ has a trim neckjoint, slimmed-down neckplate and Hipshot Ultralite™ tuners with a 20:1 gear ratio that makes tuning easy and precise. The tuners’ lightweight construction also helps avoid neck-dive and adds to overall comfort.

Available in two, high-gloss color finishes—AM 4-String Amber and AB 4-String Aqua Blue—the GB74JJ respects the past while representing the future. Get a closer look at the GB74JJ and Cort’s GB7 Series by clicking here.

MSRP $749 USD
    cort2. cort1. GB74JJ.

MCF, chinjazz and 5StringAssassin like this.
  2. desert_rain

desert_rain

Jul 14, 2015
    For the first time, I like a Cort bass.

exidor, SirMjac28 and BobKos like this.
  3. Charlzm

Charlzm Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    That Omega Bass bridge has certainly gotten my attention. Looks like a BadAss.

4. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    looks sweet. I't be even better w/o a pick guard imo.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  5. Ben B

Ben B Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I didn't know Cort was still in business. I used to see their basses in Mom and Pop music stores 10 to 15 years ago. I haven't seen any since. Not even at GC other than used basses.

6. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Yeah, they're still kicking. If I'm not mistaken, their current offerings are shipped out of Indonesia. Some of the bigger players in the industry have been manufacturing instruments in that country and with tremendous value. It's a shame you don't see them in big box stores. They would give some of the budget brands a run for the money.

madjazzbass and SirMjac28 like this.
  7. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    In the PAST, I used to associate Cort with junk. In recent years, Cort makes some fantastic basses. I have an Artisan A5 plus and an Artisan C5 plus (in my avatar). These are phenomenal instruments and values. Cort seems to have a better market outside the US. I'm not sure why.

As far as I can tell, the best way to get a Cort in the US is through Reverb. There is a seller named Wire Meets Wood and they are great to work with. You can get some nice discounts too. I've bought 3 Corts (used to have an A6) from them.

This new model looks intriguing. I'd love to get the 5 string, but they decided to go with a 35" scale this time.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  8. I dig the amber version. I see it on the 5 string. Is that available on the 4?

9. RickyTee

RickyTee

Nov 26, 2015
    London On Canada
    I think by looking at the head stock profile that they may have something to do with the same factory in Indonesia that makes Sire, Dame, Clive basses. All of which are great basses. Just like strings there a only so many places that make them and companies just buy them built to there specs.

pudgychef likes this.
  10. chinjazz

chinjazz Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    These basses look really nice, with a decent price point.

seang15 and SirMjac28 like this.
  11. aussietc

aussietc

Apr 14, 2010
    Cort are making same quality instruments. These jazz basses look amazing.

12. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    California
    I noticed they don't show the sides in the link. Maybe this is a photo finish?

13. tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    Nope. They don't do cheesy stuff like that. It's swamp ash.

[​IMG]

seang15 and SirMjac28 like this.
  14. tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    The 5 string pictures show better detail.

GB75JJ

15. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    Killer promoted press release!!!

SirMjac28 likes this.
  16. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    Pretty!

[​IMG]

Camarillo and BassikLee like this.
  17. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    This model right here not only looks Awesome, it also sounds Amazing! I think it sounds just as good as (if not better than) the Sires (sorry Marcus). Check it out;

Attached Files: