Cort GB75 or Ibanez ATK305?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have in store credit that I was orginally going to use for a rig that I now will use for another five string. Since I am talking about a specific dealer, my choice will be limited to these two basses. Here are my plusses and minuses:

Cort - wide spacing, very light weight, versatile tone, the downer is that it won't nail the SR5 vibe

ATK - great SR5 tone, versatile for a one pickup bass, $71 cheaper, the downer is that it has SR5 string spacing along with the SR5 tone and it's a bit heavy.

2. Have you played them both?
    Which one feels better to you?
    Which one has the sound you can use for your type of music?
    Sorry that's not much help, but only you can decide what's right for you.

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have a ton of experience with ATKs, and I like them alot! I do, however, want to move towards 19mm string spacing like I have on my Yamaha. I have only played a GB75 once, and I liked it alot too, it very much reminds me of a Skyline 55-02.

4. Are there any aftermarket MM pickups that will work with the wide spacing on the Cort??

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm sure the new Lakland pickups or Seymour Duncans would work. Frankly, it's the not the pickups, but the location on the pickup that really makes the SR5 tone. every J/MM bass I know of except the SR5 J/MM has the humbuxker to close to the bridge to get the real Stingray tone.

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
  7. Route it where it needs to be and make a SR5esque pickguard ??

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm not that ambitious!:D

9. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    The Japanese Ibanez site says that ATK has a slightly larger neck profile then the SR5.

I am kind of in the same boat as you. I'm looking for a new inexpensive 5 string- I like the ATK design but I really don't like the 5 string color scheme.

10. I have a GB74 great bass, has served me well over the years.
    Sounds great live, but dosn't record well.

Never played the Ibanez though...

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I may just go ATK since I know I love that sound! I guess the trick for me is the actually keep one for a change. Me and the family have alot of irons in the fire this year, and I don't intend to spend a ton of time buying basses for the next few years, let alone 2008.:bag:

12. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I saw an ad in Bass Player for a 5-string 2 pickup ATK in Sunburst. Does anybody know what the model number is for that? That's what I want...

13. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Hi Doc,

Any more thoughts on which one you may go with? I haven't had much experience with ATK's - although playing yours at the STL GTG, I gotta agree - the ATK cops a better Stingray tone than the GB-75 & the overall tone rocks. I remember having a hard time putting it down to check out other basses. But the GB-75 has tons going for it too. Tough decision. I still have mine, and although my AM Fender Jazz is my main bass, it still gets a lot of playing time & some gigs. I don't ever see letting it go - it's a very solid bass that can pull double-duty as a main or backup bass, but a pickup or preamp change may be down the road. If I have just one complaint with the GB-75, it is that there is a very strong mid-range thump on a couple of the coil selector switch settings. Great for fingerstyle though. I haven't been able to tell if it the pickups or the pre - I'm leaning towards the preamp as the culprit. I sometimes feel I could do damage to my speakers at gig volume if I lay into a slap part too hard. Other than that, I still really dig my GB-75.

14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If I get a GB-75, I will place the order this week. Keeping the same string spacing really appeals to me because I know that going directly from 17.5 to 19mm throw me off just a touch.
    The idea that I might eventually change the electronics on a GB-75 is a turn-off, because I really don't want to go through the time or investment. That is a another advantage for the ATK because I know that the electronics wil be perfect!:D

15. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Both good points - sounds like the ATK might fit the bill better, especially over the long haul. Whichever bass you end up with - please post pics! :bassist: Which store is carrying the ATK's by the way? I really need to sit down with one for a while and see what they're all about sometime.

16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm buying either from Mojo's in Edwardsville, but all area GC are carrying ATKs. In fact the four strings are currently on sale for $379!:)

17. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Yeah - I thought GC's did, but I try to avoid them at all costs whenever possible. I may have to get out to Mojo's in the future to check those out. Although I had no other option on my last bass purchase, I'd much rather give them my business if I'm in the market for a new bass. It was nice of them to host the get together a while back. Thanks for the info.

18. I'd go for the ATK - I had no problems switching to it from 19mm spacing :)

19. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    i personally would get the ATK i like the tight crisp tone it has, i compared it to a stingray 5 HH last week at guitar center, and not only did i think it nailed the stingray tone, but also the neck and fret job were nice, it had absolutely no fret buzz at all no matter how hard i played, unlike the Stingray 5 that did have fret buzz, but the stingray was still nice don't get me wrong, anyway, for a bass that price, it had allot of good tones in there i was shocked at the quality and sound of the ATK it was a very solid bass it felt like it should cost more., i just wish they made the ATK750KA in a five string, now that would be killer, anyway that is my 2 cents

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021