Cort GB75 or Ibanez ATK305?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think I am leaning more towards the ATK. I know that is a sound I absolutely love.:)

2. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    This is interesting!:) Maybe the ATK is not a clear cut winner.:meh:

3. You know how much a player's influence has on how a bass sounds, Doc. Normally, I would recommend sticking with a bass that you've had experience with and know you like, but in this case, you strike me as the type to blaze through basses whether or not you like them, so I recommend trying the GB-75. Who knows, it may be "the one."

Considering its also made the same place as Conklin GT, and Lakland Skyline basses, you can also expect quality. A 34'' scale 5 with MM/J electronics, and blocked maple board? Wish I was in your position.

4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is a pretty honest assesment.:D That wide spacing just looks so inviting to me.:bassist:

5. :)
    I never have any malicious intent by my words. The GB-75 (at least from my experience searching for one in the past) is pretty hard to find. Whenever I've had the money in my pocket, I never could seem to find one. Is there any way you a/b the ATK and the GB-75 at the shop you're purchasing from? I've heard the ATK sound samples and it sounds awesome, but like you, I really can't stand the Stingray-style string spacing.

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Hey, I didn't take anything negatively.:) I did get to A/B them once at the STL GTG last July. I played what was then my 1995 ATK305 against Stingray69's GB-75. That was where my gneral comments at the start of this thread come from.

7. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    you are right about the gb-75 being hard to find, i did a search once on google, and could not find but only one for sale on e bay, they are hard to come by, the cort web site says that a store in vegas called ED Roman by where i live is a dealer for them, but i went there and they had none, and said they are hard to get, sorry DR cheese i am not trying to be negative, just letting you know my experience, i once wanted a gb-75, i thought i could just change the electronics and a get a very close to a 55-02 bass by putting barts in it, but i could not find one, but i will say guitar center in vegas has 4 of the atk's and last i went there, which was last week, i played all of them, each had a perfect set up, all of them were perfect and consistent and had a perfect fret wire set up, all filed perfect, and i played a stingray 5 and compared them and i feel the Atk's come closer to the stingray sound than anything else i have ever played, in fact it might have been even a little more cleaner sounding than the stingray, at least to my ears. it is a killer deal for the money

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I know the GB-75 is not common, but I would be ordering froma Cort dealer who can pick one up for me if I get one.

9. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    cool!!! i hope you get one, and if its easy for you to find and get one from a dealer, pass the info along if you could ( if you don't mind), i would be quite interested in getting one in the future, anyway i hope you satisfy your GAS with a new bass. have a good night.

10. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I remember that clip!:D If I get the Cort, it will be from Mojo's too. He is a Cort dealer also.:cool:

12. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    I just picked up an ATK tonight. Just an amazing bass in every aspect.

13. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Oh cool - I had no idea! I had a look at some of the stuff hanging on the wall after the STL GTG, but I don't remember seeing any Cort stuff - maybe he's a recent Cort dealer? Maybe I'm just blind...LOL. Sounds good - a one stop shop for both basses. :cool:

14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Yeah, Bob is a Cort dealer too. He just has focused more on G&L, Music Man, and Ibanez lately.

15. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    ATK for sure.

16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I ordered a GB-75 today. I played an ATK305 today, and I decided that I just don't want to go back to narrow string spacing again. I'll let you know how I like it when I get it.:)

17. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Congrats! :hyper: Looking forward to your thoughts on it when it arrives. :bassist:

18. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    me too, i was gassing for an ATK but now i am thinking about the cort, i am so confused? oh crap, that means i am eventually going to spend more money than i should, that always happens when i get gas. crap!!

19. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Hey Stingray69, if the GTG at Fazio's happens in February, we can compare notes.:)

Lovenotfear, ATKs are great basses. If you want one, go for it! I just decided that I did not want to go narrow again.:bassist:

20. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Cort is making some fantastic basses, like Doc & other TB'ers have noted, quality is on par with the Lakland Skyline series - makes sense since Cort manufactures those basses as well. I wish my MIA Fender Jazz Deluxe could get as low & fretbuzz free action as any of my Cort basses that I've owned. As far as stock tone, I really dig it. It's that I can't seem to leave well enough alone...usually the first thing I'm doing with a bass is finding myself wondering how would it sound with this or that brand pickup/preamp, etc in it. Always experimenting with the tone, but honestly the stock tone is what drew me to it in the first place. Sounds fabulous as-is, any pickup/preamp experimentation is out of personal preference, not necessity.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021