Cort GB75 or Ibanez ATK305?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Dec 29, 2007.

1. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Absolutely Doc - looking forward to another. Great fun indeed. :hyper:

2. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV

ya, still may buy it, i want to buy a back up bass and i like the atk's alot, but what i do like about the cort is that it has standard size pickups, so i could swap pickups if i wanted to in the future. i will be waiting for your review when you get it.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    My GB-75 came in today. I checked it out, but I won't pick it up until next week after a trip. I did play it for about ten minutes, and all the things I liked about Stingray69's GB, I liked about this one too. The neck is very comfortable, and string spacing is nice and wide. The electronics are solid, but it did have some hum with treble all the way up, that, however, maybe due the store's wiring and grounding which tends to emphasize hum.

My GB-75 gets all the sounds I would expect out of a J/MM bass with coil splitting. The sound with both pickups and all coils on, it is very punchy and the slap tone is modern. Soloed, the MM pickup sounds like a Stingray's trebly cousin, but cutting down the treble got me fairly close to the Stingray tone, but nothing like the real thing or an ATK. With the MM pickup's back coil activated, it got that Jaco burp that I am a sucker for. With the front pickup and the rear coil of the back pickup, the bass did a very solid Jazz Bass imitation, although I am sure that someone like KJung would pickup on the difference pretty quickly. Overall, as a guy who has owned Millenniums and a 55-02 in the past, I think that my Cort GB-75 will definitely give me the sort of tones I like.:)

The open pore finish is very handsome, and fret work nice and level. It came with a low action that I might raise a touch since I am a pretty heavy handed player. I am guessing the weight is around nine pounds, so it will be pretty comfortable to play standing. The hardware is Hipshot open back tuners like a Lakland or USA Millennium. All in all this is a very nice bass. The only obvious areas of savings are the fact that it is totally made in Korea with Korean electronics unlike a Skyline which has the fretwork, pickup installation, and setup done in Chicago with American made electronics. Given the price, it is a great deal for the money, just like an ATK.

Anyone who reads my posts, knows that I am a pretty bad serial bass buyer. Given what I know about my tastes in basses, I think this Cort has a great chance of hanging around a while, especially since this is going to be a year where bass acquisition takes a back seat unless I go off and actually buy one of the seventies Fenders I played today!:D

4. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    thanks for your review, i was waiting to read your review, it sounds like a nice bass, your review has given me more to think about as far as buying a back up bass is concerned, thanks!:)

5. Robear22

Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Zion, Ill
    I remember you were interested in mine when I sold it!!!:D I am glad you got it. I wish I never sold it because it is a solid bass and can cop alot of different tones. People are really sleeping on this bass and I know they are hard to come by.

I am really interested in hearing how zachbass' GB75 sounds after the upgrades he did. I always thought of the GB75 being a little brother to a 55-02.

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Robear, what did you end up getting after you let the GB-75 go? I definitely agree about the GB-75 being the 55-02's little brother. For a budget minded guy like me, I think it is gonna work out fine.:D

7. Robear22

Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Zion, Ill
    I got a KSD 70's 5 string that I am in the process of putting an Audere JZ5D in. I loved the Cort but I was gassing over getting a jazz bass in the arsenal and I had found a good deal.

8. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Excellent review Doc! That's my take on things in a nutshell. Congrats on the GB-75 - it's a great instrument, very versatile tones in there. I'm sure you'll put them all to good use. :bassist:

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks!:)

10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    A nice wide necked J-5 is a choice I fully approve!:bassist:

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have not said too much about this bass simply because I have said so often how great a bass was only to sell it a month later.:bag: Now I am ready to say that I am really impressed with my GB-75. My most pleasant surprise was how good the humbucker sound soloed. It is a touch thinner than a SR5, but it get more than a enough bottom to be played by itself, and slapped, it definitely evokes the Stingray. It also get a Jaco tone pretty easily when played close to the bridge also. The tone is also great with all coils on too, it definitely works well as a modern tone than can cut with a choir. Of course the coil splitter works fine; that was really the selling point for me to get it. The jazz setting could be a touch louder, but my amp does have a volume knob!:D All in all, this bass is a great buy for someone wanting a quality budget alternative with the J/H setup.

Pics coming soon.:cool:

12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    My bad, the bass eq wasn't turned up high enough! It's plenty loud in jazz mode.:D This is a great bass.:bassist:

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 24, 2021