1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Featured Cort Introduces A5 Plus SC Single-Cutaway Bass Guitar with Non-Multi-Scale Length

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Apr 29, 2020.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (April 7, 2020) — In response to popular demand, Cort’s Artisan Single-Cut bass guitar is now available in a non-multi-scale version for conventional esthetics and playing style. The new A5 Plus SC offers the same single-cutaway body shape that players love, now with a more traditional scale length they’re accustomed to. To celebrate the launch, Cort has unveiled a new color, Amber Open Pore, for the strikingly figured poplar burl top. More balanced than ever with a stunning new look, the A5 Plus SC is built to stand out, while providing the comfortable familiarity that experienced players enjoy.

The A5 Plus SC’s predecessor and series counterpart was a bold foray into innovative modern bass concepts, specifically the single-cutaway body and multi-scale design, which results in tighter, more focused lower register sounds. These innovations were well received, but some players vocalized that they preferred a more traditional scale. Cort has answered the call with a non-multi-scale length on the A5 Plus SC.

Central to the A5 Plus SC’s design is its single-cutaway body shape, which not only improves the instrument’s body-neck balance for added comfort, but also provides unfettered access to the high frets. The strings vibrate across the body and neck in a coherent and linear manner, maximizing the tightness of the low-end with rich mids and singing highs. Cort also added a Hipshot® TransTone Bridge to facilitate greater tonal range while adding punch and enhancing sustain. With its string-thru-body and top-load construction, this bridge perfectly complements the longer 34” scale’s tighter string tension and focused sound.

The A5 Plus SC’s tonal response is enhanced by Cort’s selection of high-quality materials. The new poplar burl top not only beautifies this bass, but also adds well-balanced sonic characteristics in combination with the swamp ash body. The result is a bright and punchy modern sound that can cut through a mix with authority. The strength and brightness of the maple neck is ideally balanced with the warm midrange of panga panga, which provides reinforcement and results in superb playability, feel and tonal definition. The panga panga fingerboard produces a tight and coherent sound that pairs extremely well with the instrument’s multi-laminate neck-thru-body construction.

To further improve balance, Cort equipped the A5 Plus SC with Hipshot® Ultralite Tuners, which offer a classic 20:1 tuning ratio. Made with cast zinc, aluminum string posts, and aluminum mounting nuts, Hipshot Ultralite Tuners result in a 30% weight reduction over regular tuners and help to improve tuning accuracy.

Like other bass guitars in Cort’s Artisan Series, the A5 Plus SC incorporates Bartolini MK-1 pickups, which deliver plenty of punchy and warm mids along with transparent and brilliant highs for a superbly balanced sound. Bartolini’s renowned MK-1 preamp provides powerful yet transparent boost along with its trademark crisp high-end. The system transfers the natural liveliness of the bass through a flexible 3-band EQ for a variety of applications, from studio recordings to large concert halls. It also provides a switchable active/passive mode for a powerful modern active sound or an organic traditional passive sound.

While the A5 Plus SC is built with premium features, its price tag remains reasonable for the working musician at MSRP $1,499.99 (w/ case).

Learn more about the A5 Plus SC and other bass guitars in Cort’s Artisan Series at www.cortguitars.com

IMG_3072.jpg

IMG_3075.jpg IMG_3088.jpg IMG_3077.jpg IMG_3076.jpg IMG_3089.jpg IMG_3072.jpg IMG_3073.jpg IMG_3082.jpg IMG_3083.jpg IMG_3081.jpg IMG_3080.jpg IMG_3090.jpg IMG_3084.jpg IMG_3078.jpg IMG_3079.jpg

2. neurotictim

neurotictim Gold Supporting Member

Man, that's a beaut! Singlecuts can be so hit or miss proportionally, but this is a knockout. Wonder how heavy they'll be?

3. The whole Artisan series of basses have been killer for over 15 years and they are improving them all the time. Sleepers for sure and punch above their price tag.

4. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I love Ibanez basses. I believe that Cort basses are cousins. When I bought a Cort bass years ago it arrived in an identical cardboard case that Ibanez uses. Anyway, they make a Cort Artisan lefty in natural with wenge neck, and I would pull the trigger but they use Barts and I'm kind of looking for an SR1200L that uses Nordy's. The Nordy's were so punchy.

Seashore and dralionux like this.
  5. nilorius

nilorius Suspended

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Looks really nice.

6. I've always wondered why they don't make the burl top parallel with the neck. They did the same with the Ibanez singlecuts which I'd assume were Cort built.

Jordi Guardia, Erithon and gscroggin like this.
  7. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science!

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I'd be willing to bet my arm that Cort makes a bunch of Ibanez' models. I have the Ibanez Cerro singlecut that basically is identical to this bass but with a different bridge and electronics. It's superbly made, btw. Obviously Ibanez has better marketing, resale, and market positioning but I would definitely consider buying a Cort. It's a lot of bang for the buck for a Korean made instrument. (Korea seems to be the best far east "budget" manufacturer.)

B-Mac likes this.
  8. It wouldn't surprise me if the distributer received a Cort bass in some sort of weird packing arrangement, or some sort of special crate, and picked the first cardboard box they had to ship it out the door to the sale end-point.

I've seen some odd shipping decisions for getting basses/guitars from the Cort factories over to North America.

9. twinjet

twinjet WASH YOUR HANDS Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    6-string singlecut might get my money. Just maybe.

EddiePlaysBass and Nashrakh like this.
  10. rovito

rovito

Jun 26, 2005
    Maine
    I had a Spector NS2000/4 made by Cort and that may have been the best playing, most consistent and better sounding basses I have ever owned.

11. 5stringthumpin

5stringthumpin Supporting Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Lacey, NJ
    Cort does make many basses for other companies in their Indonesian factory, including Ibanez and fenders squier line. I’ve been told Lakeland Skyline basses are made in the Cort factory and sent to the states for assembly and setup. My Cort GB 5 strings are excellent quality and sound at very affordable prices. I would buy this bass if the spacing was 18mm, like an Ibanez cerro, as the other Cort artisan series basses I’ve seen had rather tight 17mm spacing.

son_of_mogh likes this.
  12. Jordi Guardia

Jordi Guardia

Apr 6, 2020
    I'was thinking the same!! Maybe because it's easier when gluing wings to the body… BUt it's vey ugly for me! In the single cut it's most notorius than the dual cut...

13. Ghook

Ghook

Sep 25, 2018
    Eastern US
    Korean intsurments are extremely high quality. I have had a few Korean guitars, my favorite was my. Epiphone Sheraton, it is, to this day, my most regretted guitar sale. The new ones are being made in China ( I have no problem with Chinese or Indonesian instruments) and the difference is astounding. I would purchase a Court product and never look back.

twinjet likes this.
  14. Nakoatron

Nakoatron Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Fort Worth, Texas
    You can really tell they build the ibanez stuff. Like, is it too much to come up with your own designs?

Different bridge, slightly deeper lower horn carve, side mount jack and slightly bigger spacing on the control layout.
    Zombodroid29052020054857.jpg

15. How do you know, for that particular bass, that they didn't go to Ibanez and tell them they had a way of doing a single-cut for a lower price-point? They have done that in the past.

16. Nakoatron

Aug 17, 2017
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Cort builds a lot of stuff for ibanez, including the cerro.
    You can tell what cort builds for ibanez by looking at their own models, nearly identical finishes, woods and shapes.

I'm sure ibanez has an agreement that they can release modified designs of ibanez under the cort name since cort really isn't a competitor in terms of sales volume. Cort has solid shops and build a lot of instruments for other brands.

17. Do you have any proof of that? I was under the impression that "Cor Tek" the contract-builder, is not the same as "Cort" the brand. Kind-of like there's Eastman Kodak and Kodak Alaris.

18. Nakoatron

Aug 17, 2017
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Cort and cor-tek are the same company.
    Theyre one of the biggest instrument manufacturers in the world and produce stuff for a lot of companies.

19. It's actually not exactly the same company... but you do you. I know what Cor Tek is and what they do. But you haven't shown me anything that indicates Cort has a single-cut only because Ibanez is allowing them to make a single-cut that looks like theirs. I very much doubt that.

20. Nakoatron

Aug 17, 2017
    Fort Worth, Texas
    If you know what cortek is then you'd know it was cort. :)

And my line about ibanez having an agreement with them was speculation as I said "I am sure" to start that piece off.. because it wouldn't make sense for the company building ibanez to release a blatant rip off design without some legal agreement before hand, but stranger things have happened.