1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cort Introduces Fanned-Fret Design in Latest Addition to Artisan Bass Collection

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Apr 2, 2018.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (March 19, 2018) — Cort Guitars knows that sophisticated players are serious about their tone. With each addition to the Artisan line of electric bass guitars, Cort offers excellent workmanship and world-class materials to meet high expectations. Cort’s new five-string A5 Plus SCFF model follows this tradition by offering a new take on premium wood tones and a new-to-series multiscale fanned-fret design. The combination of these features, along with premium electronics and hardware, offers players a sleek bass guitar with excellent depth and range.

The A5 Plus SCFF’s fanned frets form the foundation of this 34’’ to 35.5’’multiscale instrument. This design modification and a corresponding single-string hardtail bridge improve tension and enhance the tonal response of each string. The A5 Plus SCFF also incorporates the series neck-thru-body construction that allows strings to vibrate across the neck and body in a coherent, linear manner, maximizing tightness of the low-end with rich mids and singing highs.

Tonal balance is also achieved with the A5 Plus SCFF’s high-quality materials. The lightweight yet solid Swamp Ash body with spalted Maple top provides a strong, fundamental low-end resonance and a clear high-end. This complements the high-midrange and treble of the 5-piece Maple and Panga Panga neck. The exotic Panga Panga is also used on the 24-fret fingerboard, and strong Walnut is used for binding. Cort allows these materials to shine both sonically and esthetically with OPN (open-pore natural) and OPTG (open-pore trans grey) finishes. Platinum hardware adds a rock-steady flair while Hipshot Ultralight Tuners result in 30% weight reduction over regular tuners and improved balance and tuning accuracy.

Like other Cort Artisan basses, the A5 Plus SCFF is equipped with Bartolini electronics. Bartolini MK-1 pickups deliver a superbly balanced sound, while the corresponding Bartolini MK-1 preamp provides a powerful yet transparent boost along with a trademark crisp high-end. The MK-1 transfers the bass’s natural liveliness through a flexible 3-band equalizer for a variety of applications ranging from studio recording to large concert halls. It also provides a switchable active/passive mode for a powerful, modern active sound or an organic, traditional passive sound.

Players who value excellent workmanship and reliability gig after gig will want to check out Cort’s A5 Plus SCFF. They’ll be able to protect their purchase, at $1499 USD, with an included hard case.

Learn more and get a closer look at Cort’s Artisan series of bass guitars at www.cortguitars.com.

IMG_6073.JPG

IMG_6085.JPG IMG_6088.JPG IMG_6089.JPG IMG_6073.JPG IMG_6074.JPG IMG_6787.JPG IMG_6581.JPG IMG_6578.JPG

five7 likes this.
  2. BrBss

BrBss Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2010
    NM
    34’’ to 35.5’’? Not enough to be worthwhile. And $1500 for a bass where the fretboard sticks out past the nut? No thanks. Might as well get a Dingwall Combustion for this price.

TonyP-, FingerDub, Charlzm and 4 others like this.
  3. BtaylorTheRogue

BtaylorTheRogue

Nov 14, 2016
    Off-brand BTBs, eh?

4. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    I'm a Cort fan but I'm also a former luthier and that...that is (trying to find a polite word here) totally unacceptable.

Grumry and BrBss like this.
  5. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    "And $1500 for a bass where the fretboard sticks out past the nut?" "totally unacceptable."

IMO, looks fine to me and would function the same. $1500. seems like a great price for this bass. Having the fret board pass the nut actually blocks the nut in with less chance of knocking it lose and giving you more surface area for glue. Price wise, we're not even close to being in cork sniffing territory. You can not use a gang cutter for the fret slots on a fanned fret, gotta be done one at a time, added cost. The exotic tops look great. Fit and finish on this bass look as good if not better than some of the domestically mass produced offerings exceeding $1800.

SirMjac28 and Mechanical like this.
  6. BrBss

BrBss Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2010
    NM
    I meant the fact that the fretboard ends at a different angle than the nut, rather than the fact that the nut is cut into a slot on the fretboard. It also slightly irks me when the 3 tuners are on the B string side where the nut is already extending farther out, as it seems like a waste of space, but that's more of a pet peeve. Here's the way it should be done, IMO:
    7-Headstock.

For the record, it's not just a Cort issue. Most of the big boys who are jumping into the fanned fret game are making similar shortcuts. I got my hands on the Ibanez SRFF805, and the nut/fretboard felt weird when fretting on the B and E string in first position.
    1458318099ibanez%20srff805%20blks%20headstock.

arrowsun likes this.
  7. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    No doubt about it, it looks much better cut at the same angle as the first fret and sanded tangent to the head stock. Other than saving a few bucks in manufacturing cost, the straight edge may be establishing a reference for cutting that 1st angle, idk.

BrBss likes this.
  8. Sandman64

Sandman64

Sep 9, 2015
    Cort makes some really nice basses that are very well put together. Easily on par with Ibanez and some of the other Korean made basses out there which are also probably built at the Cort factory in South Korea. This bass reminds me of the fanned fret Ibanez bass I saw and tried at a local music store. I wouldn't be to concerned about the fretboard extending past the nut. It's just a matter of what your prefer looks wise as I doubt it makes any difference in how it plays or sounds.

Mechanical likes this.
  9. A neck through 5 string multiscale? Yes, please.

10. kopio

kopio

May 8, 2012
    Boise, ID
    I absolutely love my Cort P-bass....its super solid! I like the fanned fret idea, but I don't think the scale is long enough....I really like how Dingwall does a 37 inch scale for the B string....I think if you're going to do it, don't just add a half inch and make it 35.5...just my two cents.

BrBss likes this.
  11. 6Bass101

6Bass101

Apr 2, 2016
    Fort Mill, SC
    Looks like they used the same body/neck as the Ibanez SRSC805.

12. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Simply put, the manufacturer was lazy. That headstock looks glued on due to the fretboard/nut. Top looks great, obviously a custom cut to put in the pickups. Why not finish it properly?

13. Sywannab

Sywannab Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Alameda, CA 94501
    I'm korean.
    Proud of Cort.
    I don't buy this.

arrowsun likes this.
  14. Owner of a very underrated GB-04 ... I agree on the criticism concerning the way Cort dealt with the nut and headstock and I also would question the use they continue to make of the Bartolini MK I which almost everybody complains about ... they should at least offer an option for equipping the bass with made in USA Bartolini DC or similar soap-bar pickups.

15. hyp.spec

hyp.spec Supporting Member

May 14, 2006
    Warren, MI
    That pickup screw though...

BrBss likes this.
  16. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Wow - didn't even notice that first run. And that is on the promo shot!

17. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Obviously made in the same plant as the Ibanez. Looks pretty nice.

18. Charlzm

Charlzm Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    5 string multiscale really ought to be 34" to 37", IMHO. Also not a fan of single-cut bodies. Or natural wood finishes. Or Corts costing as much as name brand basses.

Pass.

TonyP- likes this.
  19. FingerDub

FingerDub

Jan 8, 2016
    Co
    Corts are brand name in other parts of the world.

20. Charlzm

Charlzm Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Fair enough.