Cort "P" Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jul 8, 2005.

1. I took a trip to a local music shop today in high hopes of findign a new bass to eff around with. (Got a little extra money in my pocket after paying a traffic ticket, go figure!) So, I stopped, and was disappointed that this place had not oredered any new bass guitars since my last visit. The only stuff laying around bass-wise, were a few Gold-Tones accustics, a Brownsville 5 that looked like the ass-end of a horse after having the runs, a Peavey Fury 4, almost 200 overpriced, and a Cort Standard P Bass. Tyhe price on the bass was 260, not to too bad. So I picked it up, loved it. Nice chunky neck, very light, and super easy to play.

So, have any of you crossed paths with this cheap bass??? I'm thinking of getting it, and dropping in a Bad Ass bridge, and maybe some DiMarzios, or some other P bass pickup with alot of bite, I'm kinda way way way in the dark when it comes to what p'up brands are good for what tones.

But, yeah... Anyone????

Agathis body, maple/maple neck.

2. Kurt Hans

Kurt Hans

Mar 17, 2005
    A Cort P bass was my very first bass. It was a complete piece of garbage. The pots were lose, the bridge saddles were rusted in place, the pickups hummed like crazy, the tuning keys stuck and it went out of tune even if you looked at it funny. Man I loved that thing. I ended up trading it at my local guitar shop for a brand new Dean DB94, which I thought was the cat's pajamas. Then a couple years later, I was at a friend's house that wanted to learn how to play bass and it turned out she had bought my old Cort. Small world, huh?
  3. Did you buy your bass new??? If so, around what year woul dyou specify it as???

The one I found, is brand new, and I did a quick-check of all the hardware, minus the saddles.. Everything was in nice working condition. Pickups sounded like they should through a Peavey 112. I'll be getting a Yorkville 2-10" combo, so it should sound way better!

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    A store around here has those Cort Ps and I think they are great budget basses. They sell them for $159. You need to look around, $260 is way too much for these basses.
  5. I know that it's too much... They have a Fury 4 form Peavey... A 450 bass... for 600. I would ORDER the Cort, I will never ever buy from those money hungry bastards...

STRINGS and THINGS, Titusville, Florida.... yeah, I'm talking to you, you stupid d***s, you suck!

6. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I have a cort action I bought ust to convert to a fretless. It's held up very well, and I have always been impressed by it's quality for the money I paid.

You should be able to get the P bass for less than 200 if you shop around.
  7. akatennispro55

Jul 16, 2008
    I actually own a Cort P-Bass right now. I play in a screamo/ post hardcore band. Im self taught and ive been playing for around 2 1/2 years. This was the first bass i ever bought and it wasnt to expensive, which is mostly the reason i got it. I got it used and made a few modifications over the years. Plays exactly like a p bass should. I put in some Duncan Bass Line pickups, installed a new P-bass bridge, and had to re-soder the input wiring. Plays amazing for the intense beating i put on it. Plays well in drop tuning and in standard. Its a solid bass, except the Cort stock pickups arnt that good thats why i changed them. I would recommend doing that. I got some $60 bass lines and they are way better.
  8. Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I do believe $260 is a bit much for a lower Cort but hey if it plays right. I've always enjoyed Corts and find everything they make is usually a great value for the money. Better then you would expect for the price, and hey the factory is now the one churning out a lot of the overseas production for Squiers to Lakland Skylines to G&L tributes I believe.
  9. envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    My VM Precision was supposedly made at the Cort's good stuff. Yeah, $260 sounds a little high though.