1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cort question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jools4001, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

It seems that both the Cort A5 and B5 bear a fleeting resemblance to my main bass (GB Rumour 5), so either of them could prove to be a moderately priced back up bass.

I seem to remember reading that their string spacing was quite tight. I've searched on here and on the Cort site, but I can't find any verification of this...any owners out there who can tell me? I prefer 18mm on a fiver, 17mm is getting a bit tight and 16 would be a deal breaker, so all info gratefully received.

2. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    I''m pretty sure all of the Cort Artisan series 5ers come with standard 16mm spacing at the bridge but the bridge is adjustable - each saddle can move sideways around +/- 1mm.

3. Jools4001

Thanks dincz...

Are any owners of Cort fivers able to chime in?

4. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Naaa... go for it with no doubt

I had everythin' from T74, GB74, A4, B4...
    So I think I know a thin' or two about Cort

On 5ers, just like T75, GB75, GB95, A5 and B5 string spacin' is always 18mm, why? New A5 (and A4) bear Hipshot transtone bridges and I can assure you that great part of Hipshot bridges on the market (A style included) are 18mm on more than four strings
    Former A5 (and A4) had the same EB12 (4 or 5 stringers) still on the T and GB series and they do the same (18mm on more than four strings)

On top of all that: I also had an A6 to get accustomed to an "expected" Ibanez Adam Nitti replica bass (MII "36" version) that bears Hipshot A style six string bridge (Cort A6 has Hipshot transtone 6 bridge) that's still 18mm and I assure you that 18mm string spacin' on a six string bass means a giant neck, to begin with

18mm (or 0,7") go for it

Cheers,
    Wallace

5. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    I have tried few of Cort's 5ers, namely B5, CH5, T75, Arona5, Curbow5, GB75, GB5-Custom, and Rithimic V, but never an A5. IIRC, the ones with wide 19 mm string spacing are only the Ts, GBs and Rithimic V. The others seems to have tight 16 mm spacing (not really sure about the Arona5 though...)

As for A6 (I do own an A6, latest model with Hipshot Trans Tone bridge, and a Curbow6), I can confirmed to have 16 mm string spacing. And for the A5, if I recall seeing one in store, the latest model (which has Hipshot Trans Tone Bridge) seems to have slight wider string spacing than the A6, but definitely not 19 mm.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  6. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    There is a Cort Club on TB...

7. Jools4001

Yes, I know, I did search and read through it. A bit long winded to read every Cort related message to find info on string spacing.

Thanks though Wallace and Aidil, the Hipshot bridge and 18mm seems perfectly sound logic, so I may just order one and try it out.

8. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    just wanna share the 6 string Hipshot Trans Tone bridge string spacing:

WIN_20151101_09_01_47_Pro_zpswf7lzc0n.

roughly 80 mm from 6th to 1st string, which means 16 mm per 2 strings.

The 5 string Trans Tone bridge is indeed 18 mm according to the specs on Hipshot website... but let me remind you that Cort is licensed to build many components including the Trans Tone bridge used in A5 (including the 6 string version used in A6 pictured above which is unlisted on Hipshot website and also the A Style bridge used in various Cort basses), so the string spacing could be different from what is written on Hipshot (USA) website.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  9. FingerDub

FingerDub

Jan 8, 2016
    Mr. Wallace sir. Do you know what the string spacing is on the Artisan B4 model? I keep hearing that the string spacing is thin, but it's only been applied to five strings and have not found the string spacing measurement for the four banger yet.

Thank you Sir.

10. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    AFAIK, all their 4 strings have 19 mm string spacing. Closer string spacing has always been their 5 and 6 string basses.

FingerDub likes this.
  11. FingerDub

FingerDub

Jan 8, 2016
    Crap, now I have to buy it.

12. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Oh yeah... 19mm string spacin' on 4ers
    18mm just on 5/6ers men

Cheers,
    Wallace

13. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    not all of them, especially not their 6ers (refer to my earlier posts in this thread).

14. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Well actually, no info on Cort website as on models' string spacin'
    BTW, on hipshot's
    - A style 6 string bridges are also credited of 16,5mm (from 18mm down to...) and
    - B style 6 string bridges also of 16mm (from 18mm down to...)

At present, no mention of 6 string TransTone bridges, so no specs for'em

Yet my point sticks to my personal experience: I had a few 6ers, such as Yamaha RBXJM2, MusicMan Bongo 6, Warwick Streamer LX 6, Ibanez Sr3006 Prestige and Cort A6, plus an Ibanez Btb7 and a pair of Ibanez Gerald Veasley's...

I usually favor thick, chunky necks, for they convey much more tone (the chunk keeps tha funk man:thumbsup:) but this goes for 4ers and 5ers...
    I'm a tad less than 6ft tall, and got regular hands... so on 6ers I prefer thinner string spacin', not for laziness itself, but because on 6ers the deal is playin' chords... an'I find it impossible on 18mm string spacin'

That's why I experienced Ibanez Btb7 (15,5mm) and Gerald Veasley's (14mm) but then again... lettin' chords alone, they're much too tight for everythin' else, that's why regular soundgear's (16,5mm) is my best (I still jealously own a 25yo MIJ Sr1306)

I can vividly remember difficulties had with Cort A6... if A and B style bridges are credited for different specs on hipshot website, I can expect the very same for the TransTone... anyway:
    - 6er ain't there, and I fell pretty sure...
    - the A6 I briefly owned wasn't the case you depicted up here
    otherwise I'd have been more than happy to keep it, just like my Soundgear

Cheers,
    Wallace

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  15. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Yes, no specs of the 6 string Trans Tone bridge available online. But at least I've posted pic of mine on post #9 above which clearly depicted the string spacing of 16 mm. I've never used A6 with the older style bridges, so I have no knowledge of those.

All I know when I still had a Curbow 6 (Korean, 2001) and an Action VI-A (Indonesian, 2014) with other style of bridges, they have the same 16 mm string spacing.

Curbow 6 bridge:
    View attachment 3053141

Action VI-A bridge:
    View attachment 3053140

If I'm not mistaken, prior using Trans Tone bridge, the A6 were built using the same bridge as that Curbow 6 of mine, right? If so, then I'm quite sure it has the same 16 mm, just as current A6 with Trans Tone bridge.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  16. Bolsyo

Bolsyo

Oct 18, 2015
    Norway
    I have an older Cort A5, back from when they were made in Korea (think it's a 2006). Mine has has a really tight string-spacing, 16-16,5mm or something. Not sure what the newer Indonesian models have.

17. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Yeah
    Older A6 bear a satin bridge in the style of Curbow 6

Anyway, quite unusual basses you got

The Action 6 was caught just once over here (with same 6 string bridge on former Ibanez Sr506 and present Esp/Ltd B206)

While I heard of a Curbow 6er just on this forum, but never came across it here in Italy

Cheers,
    Wallace