Corts: Why are they so Cheap?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Apr 10, 2003.

1. The Corts are really good basses that are really cheap!

32 vote(s)
  2. The Corts are cheap, but they sound terrible!

11 vote(s)
  1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I ran a thread a little while back asking about the Cort Curbow 6, but that didn't get very many responses. This one is more broad.

If you look online for different prices for Cort basses, you will find that they are very cheap. And that they seem to have a lot of good features, including active pickups and luthite bodies. I would guess these basses to be at least $400 higher priced for the features they have. Something seems a little fishy. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with these basses or why they are so cheap?
  2. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    I really enjoyed my Cort Curbow fretless. It was a 4 stringer with a Bartolini pickup. It sounded great, was really light, was durable, and the ebanol fretboard didn't wear much at all. The only thing I would have changed would have been the balance: the body felt a little small compared to the neck, although there wasn't much neckdive with a strap. Don't even think about trying to play one on your lap however, it will tip right over. In the end, I got rid of it just because I never played fretless. I would buy another one in the future if I ever had a need for a fretless.
  3. I'm not sure why they sell for what sell for. I only know that the quality is 1st class. I've got a Curbow 6 for sale, not because the quality is bad but because I'm just not a 6 stringer. One of the reasons I bought it was because it was so reasonably priced in the beginning.
  4. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Well, I'm convinced. Hooray for Cort Basses! The neckdive is a little problem, but nothing a good strap won't fix, I hope. I'm getting one or two as soon as I get enough money for those and the new 4x10.
  5. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Tried the Cort Curbow 6, Bartolini version.. Sounded good to me. I have no idea what they cost in the States though, I think that one was around 700€.
  6. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    While they aren't exceptional or anything, I have played teh Cort "action", active standard, and curbow models, and they all seemed to be a good value for the price. I'd much rather have a Spector Q5 for a drop in the bucket more than the curbow though. :)
  7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Cort basses are inexpensive because the people who manufacture them are not paid well. They don't have the kind of occupational laws in Korea than we do in the US or much of Europe.

However, compared to places like China and Indonesia they are fantastic. Nowhere near the worst.

Also, the materials are somewhat lower quality.

Cort manufactures many instruments under many license agreements and brand names, as well as fellow Korean manufacturer Samick. My Dean Edge 5 was made by Cort.
  8. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Made in Korea. Minimum wage way lower than US.
    I've owned a Cort Steinberger for 19 years. I tried the real Steinbergers and just prefered real wood (maple). I did switch the Mighty Mite pickups for Barts. Killer bass tone in a 6lb package. :) I have tried a friend of my daughters action bass and thought it to be a great "entry level" bass. I had to take it apart and tighten the pots, but other than that I thought it was a very good bass for the price.
  9. Lakland Skyline is made by Cort!
  10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Yep the Skyline basses are made by Cort and made very well. Of course, I think it helps that Lakland cares as much as they do. QC on the Skyline basses is high.
  11. Bump, because I am really looking at a Cort Artisan 6.

Anyone own one of these? Tell me about it, please
  12. There are lots of reasons for this, as others have mentioned Korean basses (while some are awesome) are cheap becuase of labor. Also the bass having a non wood fretboard, as well as a non wood body, saves money.

There are a lot of Korean basses out there that are quite good. Schecter's Elite series comes to mind. They are all around $550-600 but are very good.
  13. Yes I was reffering to the Curbow line, the only Cort bass I have any experience with.
  14. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Hey Darrin - I WEEP for that jazz in the background! :p
  15. Does anyone have a GB series cort?

I looked at them on the website and saw one on an Aussie online music store and they were in my price range

The GB 44 and 64 i think

They have the mm and neck J pup

they look alright

anyone played one to give any comments about them
  16. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    I own a Cort GB series bass and I must say it gives me awesome tone... what doesn't give me awesome tone is this P.O.S. 10 watt amp. Doesn't anybody ever try the GB series? I always hear about the Artisans and such but what about the GB!

P.S. The GB reminds me of a mixed Jazz and Stingray in a wierd way... ok maybe not.
  17. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I used to have a high-end Cort G290 electric guitar. Superb playing guitar. I sold it to get my first bass. I'm playing a Cort GB44. A+ worksmanship. Great bass for the money. Cheap electronics though but if you're not fussy like me it does the job decently.
  18. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
  19. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    I wouldn't hesitate to get a Cort if I wanted one. The quality is much higher than the price might imply.

The Cort Curbow is a nice inovative design for the low end market. (although I have no idea what lutherite is, maybe saw dust with glue mixed in). You aren't going to get spalted maple for $400.

They make a nice mid priced bass in the Professional/Preformance series, I forget exactly what they call them.

And for the high end, the sure to be a hit, Cort Elrick.

If a custom shop bass is not in your future, you could do a lot worse than a Cort.
  20. Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    I played a Cort Curbow 5 string once. I thought it was a very good value, much better than an Ibanez of the same price.