1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Corts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nonohmic, Apr 9, 2006.

1. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Hey there,

Just wondering what the general consensus on Corts was?
    I'm talking in the beginner - intermediate catergory (or high end if they have some up there - I dont know.)

Cause this is my first bass pictured below and I've had it for ~ 3 years. Cost me $800 NZ, so maybe $500 US. Has two band active eq. A really close action, smooth as to play. And to my ears has a nice tone, and it has been complimented on. (I play through a laney rbw300 combo)

And besides all that I think its got the best shape of a lot of basses.

Was thinking of upgrading but every bass I play in my price range (~$1500 NZ - $800-$1000 US) doesnt compare. All seem to be quite 'clunky' in the action. Bear in mind though, that in NZ we get the main manufacturers, ie ibbys, fenders etc and not much smaller boutique brands.

Is it just because I've learnt on this that I find it so nice to play or is it possible that Cort actually make nice basses?

Thanks for the input.

2. jeffhigh

jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    Hey there.
    I have two corts
    1 a swamp ash, wenge neck bart equiped B5 that I bought new mid last year
    2 an older low end 5 that I bought and defretted. electronics were really poor, I replaced the pots and put in lace sensors.
    They both sound and play and balance fine.
    The B5 is great, quality fittings and wood and wide tonal variation with 3 band eq.
    Jeff

3. If it plays nice, and sounds nice to your ears, and you've tried other basses that don't compare, then there's no question, just play it! Cort make some fine stuff, and even if they made pure crap, you should still play what feels right to you. Killer lookin bass by the way.

Also to answer your question, it's probably partly due to the fact that you've owned it for this long that you're so comfortable on it. I feel the same with way with my 04' Jazz (main bass), it just feels right. I always play better on that than any other bass period.

4. I've never played a bad cort to tell you the truth, I've played the GB74 and 75's their P-Bass copy, their Elrick and Curbow models and the A and B series basses. All feel very well built and play very well, the only problem (to some, i quite like the tone) is that they sound a little bland.

Nice looking B4 btw

5. Does'nt Cort make some of the "name brand" import basses anyway?

I'm looking to snag a B4FL with the MK-1 barts and pre, and the wenge neck to be my blank-plank bass. Don't play fretless too often, can't see putting much cash into one.

6. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    I have a Cort A5 Artisan,.. I defretted it myself,... Killer bass!
    I think the Cort basses have a really good value, so much bass for a price that most people can afford..

7. I've got a Cort Earth 100F acoustic dreadnaught-style guitar factory fitted with Fishman EQ and Sonicore pickup, great sound great guitar for the price. Stays in tune no problems at all.

I've generally heard good things about their basses too. Possibly the only criticism that comes to mind is that their basses can be neck heavy at times.

8. Cort make nice basses. If you like it, keep playing it ;)

I used to have a Cort P bass. It was actually very good :bassist:

9. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    I own a Cort Curbow 5. Sweet bass, great tone and smells like gasoline.
    What else can a guy want? No mattter what the brand play it and if you like the ax then buy it.

10. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I really like what Cort is doing by offering custom shapes to the masses. The Curbows and Elricks both very cool, but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for the Cort LeCompte. ;)

11. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Is that what it is? Cheers, I lost the paperwork ages ago.

Thanks guys, given me that boost just to keep playing it. Cause I love this bass. It's bloody heavy though!! But thats ok.

12. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    That's a great looking instrument.

13. C4s are great. I've owned one for 5 years, killer reliability, tone and playability. My only complaint was that the bridge saddles buzzed like buggery.

14. +1 for corts, i work in a music store where cort is our main brand and i must say i am impressed by there stuff, i play a c4z (c4 with zebra top) and love it, my brother plays an action bass which is the p bass copy, the gb series is more of a jazz bass copy... but they all seem good bang for the buck

15. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    i used to play a cort corbow 5. its weight made me miss it sometimes. its really nice and light. neck gave me problems. needed a truss rod adjustment now and then.

tone was good. not as good as my zon, but very respectable in its price range. dont think anything at that price comes close.

only thing i had against it other than the neck was the one-pickupness of it all. it was a bart, and it really was a one-sound bass. perhaps because of the lousy fishman electronics. i couldn't eq anything in other than its stock tone... everything else sounded weird.

16. Just played an Artisan A6 today, i'd say its one of the best production 6 strings available in Australia, I think they were asking $1200 for it. The only problem i had with it was fairly tight string spacing, but nothing extreme.

17. i really like corts ay, especially the new elrick model, the curbows and the tm stevens sig...the funkmachine 2 before they made it that stupid silver and added the different bridge n stuff

18. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I've never owned a cort, but I have played a number of artisan and curbow basses, and I am always impressed by the tone and ease of play on the instruments.

19. Id love to go out and buy myself an A4 or even a B4, absolutely great instruments, the ones I played sans setup played flawlessly. Not too mention the beautyful ash wood grain from the B4, and the killer "aged" finish on the A5 I played. Again, killer instruments, enough to make me ditch Ibanez for good.

Man, I really want one now... But alas, a Sting Ray is just calling my name... much much louder.

-Ryan.

20. Fredeuh

Fredeuh

Aug 15, 2005
    South France
    I have an Artisan 6 strings and it is a really good bass. Maybe a little bit heavy but really cool. It play easy and the neck is not so big for a six... and not very expensive too :)
    I'm in love :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]