1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Corvette $$ 5 or Corvette Standard 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lhrocker, Mar 10, 2008.

1. lhrocker

lhrocker

Oct 5, 2006
    I picked up a Corvette Standard 5 yesterday for a good price at GC. The fret ends need a little work, but it sounds really great. The only thing I found was that it's heavy so today I went to another GC to try out a $$ 5 string. The bass played much better than the standard in that the action was much lower with no buzz, the fret ends were perfect and the bass was lighter. It would cost me an additional $200 for the bass, but I think it'll be worth it.

What I really liked was the passive/active system, where I can go passive if the pre dies, but there are still so many tonal colors with the coil taps on each humbucker. The color is Nirvana black, which is also pretty cool.

So, is it a good deal to upgrade? I already put the bass on hold, but guess I could just use the down on something else - please let me know.

2. Jimtoonz

Jimtoonz

Aug 26, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I am normally not a 'wick fan, but there is just something about the $$ that makes me pick up one every time I visit GC. That thing has some serious thunder. If I wasn't so sold on L-2500s, there would likely be a $$ in my house. I say make the deal.

3. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    I had your exact experience about 6 months ago, when I went to look at/buy a standard Corvette. Warwicks had interested me for some time, and I had some money to play with.
    The 'Vette at GC had some minor issues (little ding on the neck, not a deal-breaker), and the Salesperson couldn't find the gig-bag.
    While he was looking I saw and tried the $$- Nirvana Black!

I did a turn-around, and walked out with the $$. Glad I did.
    Lots of 'Wick players like the sound the Bubinga standard 'Vettes get, either active or passive. I can dig it.

But the lighter swamp-ash $$, with the vast tonal possibilities floated my boat, along with the interesting combo of Ovangko/Wenge neck and board.

I STILL haven't used all the eq on the $$, and with tone-shaping on most of my rigs, it's way much, in a good way of course. Great bass, tone-wise, build-wise, and playability-wise!

I would not mind at all having a passive Bubinga 'Vette too, they have a nice, phat, heavy sound from the wood-

Come to think of it, have you ever looked at the Warwick Custom shop stuff??!!??:eek:

Talk about GAS!