1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Corvette 5 pick up who? what....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by flea claypool, Feb 7, 2005.

1. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    hi i have a corvette 5 and the mec,s are great combined but soloed not really so im thinking about changing them in the summer...
    so any body have any ideas with changing pickups on a warwick? any suggestions... maybe s/d,s?
    it has a 2 band eq which i love cause i dont like middle so i will keep that if i can.. im looking for a fat but well defined tone useful for fingers and slap? plus i want that powerful p sound up front and a bit of jaco on the rear.. am i asking too much :bawl: :bawl:
    Thanks!

2. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    BUMP!

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    if you do a search you'll find a bunch of threads where I talked about this - I did it on my thumb 5.

The long and short of it: there is not one standard for 5 string jazz pickup sizing. My thumb 5 had two bridge length J pickups (3.75") - I tried bartolini, dimarzio, emg, sd pickups. EMG was my favorite of the bunch, works well with the dark woods of the thumb - if you do that you'll probably need to buy two long bridge pickups rather than the regular EMG J set - where one is 3.75" and the neck is 3.63"