Corvette 6 opinions.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MJB, Feb 21, 2002.

1. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I'm interested in this bass but I'm probably gonna have a hard time finding one to try. Anybody own one or played one? What are your impressions?
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I tried one a while back. As with all Warwicks I've played, it was very well made, and smooth in feel. However, I don't like the tone from the MEC pickups and electronics (a bit tinny, honky and nasal), and the string spacing was a bit too narrow to my taste on that sixer. (16 mm?)
  3. 17.5 actually..
    and the warwick widenecks are 20 :)
  4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I see, but I don't think the Corvette std. has the broadneck option, am I right?
  5. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    String Spacing: all 4 strings = 19 mm
    all 5 & 6 strings = 16.5 mm
    all wideneck and Streamer Stage I (5 & 6 strings) = 20 mm

LX and Thumb BO offer option for wide spacing.

The above taken from Warwick's website. At any rate I want the narrow spacing.
  6. Here are a couple of reviews: click here

My review is the second (bottom) one. Hope this helps! :)
  7. MJB...

I test drove one of these not so long ago.

Very well made,great looking and sounding bass,but EXTREMELY heavy and VERY poorly balanced ,in fact I found it impossible to play standing was so neck heavy .The small body shape is awkward too and unless the bass is played quite lowdown in the horizontal position ( which is impossible for me given my playing style and large hands ) then I think you might end up with wrist problems.

I also found it impossible to play sitting down unless I leant forward and counterbalanced the neck-heaviness by leaning my chest onto the upper horn so I could steay the bass.

This was all a great shame because it sounded and looked great.Ergonomically though...for me... it was a nightmare!!!. The salesman tryed every trick in the book to convince me that I would get used to it...but I said "no thanks".
  8. LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    Funkmeister, you sure that wasn't a Thumb?

I owned a Corvette 6 for a while (and a Thumb 5 NT). I thought the Thumb was a balance nightmare, but for me the Corvette was just fine. Well made and all, but you are definitely spot-on about the weight. I took it to a gig only once: I didn't think I'd survive. These babies are HEAVY. Great action, good quality: a fun bass to play as long as you don't have to wear it (or are able to adapt to it).

As a matter of fact, I consider my Conk GT7 to be the heaviest bass I presently own, and I think it's much, much lighter than the Corvette 6.

Good luck with your quest!
  9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Could you have been playing a Thumb by mistake? The Thumb's bosy is quite smaller in size than a Corvette when compared to a standard MM/Jazz/P body size. And the Thumb seems to me to be quite a bit heavier than the Corvette.
    As far as the two go in tone, what is everyone's preference? I played a Corvette today that I liked quite a bit, but have been thinking about a Thumb. Haven't played either one in a 6 string, though, but that's what I want. Any help to offer?
  10. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, i've played a zillion warwicks, but i've only actually owned a thumb 4 neck through. awesome bass. the only corvettes i liked were the first ones-bubinga body, wenge/bubinga neck. what i would suggest though is the thumb bolt on six string, with the wide neck option. awesome's not balanced very well, but i never found it to be problem...heavy too. i consider myself to be pretty stout, so maybe the weight/balance problem was a little transparent. hope that helped. :D
  11. was definitely a 6 string corvette I played.

As I said ,great looking and sounding bass as well as being superbly made...But horribly balanced.Body was way too small for me( but I am fairly large..6'5 235 ).The neck was just too darn heavy for the bass.

I tried a thumb bass as well but thought that was too small in the body also. I guess that I am just too used to playing a jazz bass.
  12. Kelvin

Apr 30, 2000
    Its an extemely versatile bass. The combination of wenge neck and bubinga body lends it the very charateristic warwick growl.

Weight issues definitely exist. Balance much less of an issue than with the thumb. The bass must weigh in excess of 12lbs, seemingly much heavier than my 35" fretless 6.

A better than average deal for basses in this price range.
  13. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    FYI: Neck is made of ovangkol nowadays.
  14. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Warwick lists the weight at 9.24 lbs which doesn't seem overly heavy to me. I find that a good strap will handle basses that want to neck dive. As far as wide necks go, I'm particularly avoiding that as I have small hands. The 2.05" width at the nut and 16.5mm string spacing is one of the main reasons I'm considering this bass. Thanks for all the replies, I'm gonna have to really try to find one to play.
  15. MJB...The Corvette 6 I played was every bit as heavy as my 78 jazz bass ( 13 lbs ). I honestly couldnt imagine playing it standing up...wide strap or not. But you try one for may like it. Oh BTW...this one had the ovangkol neck.I would imaginethat the wenge necked model ( if there is such a thing) to be even heavier still
  16. Kelvin

Apr 30, 2000
    Oh ok, my 'vette is over 3 years old, although I ended up getting the 5, I'd imagine the 6 (w/wenge neck) to be at least over 12lbs).