Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Corvette and waxing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wyman, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Wyman

Wyman

Sep 5, 2004
    Nashua, NH
    I'm very much considering getting a Corvette Standard 5, but have a question about the finish and waxing it. If I don't regularly wax it, will the wood like start to split? Or will it just sorta get faded in spots I rub my fingers against? I'd like it to get faded from use, so I won't wax it probably...but if the wood will split if I don't wax it, I'd like to know lol. Thanks!

2. I don't think that the wood'll crack, but it will be discolored on the spots you touch with your hand/lower arm.

3. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I never wax. I'm too lazy.

Slug

4. On my Streamer I don't wax that often, but I find that where my arm rest on the bass, the finish gets shined up pretty nice. I am a big fan of matte or oiled basses so I am intending to re-matte the finish up a bit.

5. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    i didn't wax my thumb for yrs cause i didn't play it and there's nothing wrong with it. it will look a bit dry but if you wax it again it's fine.

i wax it once a month and after gigs, those sweatspots are a sob to get rid of.

6. Wyman

Wyman

Sep 5, 2004
    Nashua, NH
    Alright; thanks a lot for all your input :) I read on (I think) harmony central that the wood splits if you don't wax it, but you guys kinda out-number that one review :D