corvette epreamp upgrade

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bongo499, May 7, 2005.

1. bongo499

Jan 10, 2005
    i have a 5 month old corvette 4 standard. I love to slap but dont feel like i am getting a great sound out of the bass. I do not have enough money to buy a new bass but have enoguh to buy a nice set of pickups and preamp. I herd that i shoudl leave on the Mecs and get a new preamp. I want an active sound so please leave you opinion on what i should get. I got 3 knobs on the corvette. Tahnk you
  2. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Try an outboard Aguilar 924 preamp. Will definitely get you a great slap tone and then some. This would be the easiest approach, no modifications and you should be able to find a used one. The Sadowsky outboard pre is also another good choice plus has some more bells and whistles.
  3. epoxo57

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio

I just put a Bart NTBT in my Corvette and it sounds great with the MEC's, eventhough I am considering other pickup options (never satisfied :scowl: ). The MEC's should do ya until another payday comes your way.

The Bart comes in a pre-wired harness and is real easy to install if you can solder. There is plenty of room for the battery and the module.

Of course.....its in competition now with my new Sterling and that silky-smooth, super-fast neck!

Good luck!
  4. timinator

May 8, 2005
    If you don't want to spend the whole chunk at once, try a preamp first, but you'll have to spend the same installation fee again when you get the pickups done. The Aguilar 924 advice is solid-they have great stuff-and I've always relied on my tech 21 bass driver for a good on-demand slap tone. It's a very useful box and worth a look.

If you do the whole shabang on the bass... I put a whole Bartolini system into a Corvette and I've never had a better slap tone straight out of a bass (the preamp was just bass/treble on stacked pots, but huge range). Marcus and T.M. Stevens were haunting my rig when I got slapping that stick around. Hope this helps... your tone is out there!