Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Corvette FNA Jazzman 5 - neck dive and low B?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RavCat, Jan 20, 2006.

1. I'm thinking of getting a (new) Warwick Corvette FNA Jazzman 5 (34" scale).

For those who already have one:

1) Is there any neck dive?
    2) Is the B string good? (i.e. not too floppy, poor tone, etc)

Cheers

RC

2. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Hello man !

I own a Streamer jazzman five and a Corvette Hotrod five.
    By mixing those two bass it could give some clue for you :
    B string on my Str jazzman is great and quite articulate, in fact, one of the best I found on a 34" scale bass.
    On corvette, no neck dive at all, probably due to the extended upper orn. My streamer have a tendency to dive a bit but anyway I prefer its general confort (concave back, arched top...) to Corvette one.

Sheers

3. Hi,

I own a FNA Jazzman 5 and I'm very satifsfied with it. Low B is fine ... no neck dive problem. All I can say ... go for it :bassist:

Tomaz

4. Thanks guys! I've been GASsing after one of these for a long time, and now I've got the cash, I got the local shop to get one in to try - I'll be trying (and possibly buying) that tomorrow.

In your opinions, is it good for slap? Recently I tried a Streamer LX 4 which sounded amazing through my rig. I play a lot of funk and fusion, and I guess the slap tone is what I'm buying it for.

The Stingray style bridge pickup and the "slap contour" electronics seem very desirable on this model, but pickups are passive (whereas the Streamer's were active), and I'm wondering in this instance, whether it makes a lot of difference, or maybe I should get an active pickup Warwick instead?

(before anyone recommends it, the Stringray doesn't do much for me looks/feel wise).

5. Don't know about slapping ... i play finger style only ....

Tomaz

6. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Jazzman series (Streamer or Corvette) are in my opinion one of the ultimate bass for fusion and slap in particular. With the MM style pickup at bridge with 3 ways switch and jazz pickup at neck, you've got an undless palette of sound at the tips of your finger going from jazz bass vibe (single coil both pickups) to MM vibes (bridge pickups all the way in parallel mode).

Anyway, just a point that you must know, there are no more slap contour on Jazzman series cause they are no longer feeted with SD preamp. Since 2002 I thinks, Jassman are feeted with Mec 3 ways electronics with active/passive push/pull volume knob and no longer slap contour.

Sheers

Shiveringbass

7. I didn't know that - thanks for the heads up!

8. I'm not sure about that ... acording to current warwick manual on the web site - there is still a slap contour there with MEC preamp.

9. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Sorry but unless a change has been made realy recently by Warwick, Mec 3 ways elec don't have any slap contour, just a push/pull volume knob to go from active to passive just like every other Warwick.
    ;)

Sheers

10. I guess you are right - there is a smal print related tor the push/pull button saying that the slap contour is in case of SD preamp .... anyway - it is a great bass :bassist:

11. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I had a Warwick Corvette FNA 5, the model that preceeded the Jazzman. The B string was tight and punchy... even with the fact that the band I was in tuned down a full step. I thought the bass was a bit neck heavy, but proper strap length combated that. I was pretty sure it had the slap contour, but reading other posts makes me wonder if it was just passive/active. I tried out the Jazzman... nice bass, but then I stopped wanting a modern sound and got a P-Bass.