Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Corvette FNA jazzman problems

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lil'bass, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Anybody know how to lessen the power of the pre-amp in a warwick corvette fna jazzman? The bottom end is distorting through all amplifiers!! Ive lowered the pickups, tried using less volume on the bass, tried knocking back the bass on th eeq (both guitar and amp), all these have helped but not elinminated the problem. Any advice?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Have you replaced the battery recently?

3. Yeah i replaced the battery about three weeks ago. Is that too long before another change? This is the first active bass ive owned. Ive spoken to the guy at the bass cellar in london....he owns the same bass and says that warwick just decided to make the preamp too damn powerful for this model. Does anyone else own one and had the same problem?

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, you might check the battery. If the preamp is powerful, it might use more battery power. Then you might check to see if your amp has a pad control. Or an input gain. Or you could just put a resistor in line with the output to drop the output a bit.

5. please dont forget unplugging the bass after playing (just to make sure ^^)

6. Yeah i always unplug. Thanks for the resistor advice-hadn't thought of that. Better find someone who knows what they're doing to do it though hehe.

7. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars
    thats just the nature of the mec preamp. i have owned 3 warwicks, all with the same problem. in the streamer lx(best sounding in my opinion)it didnt bother me, but in the streamer stage 1 i couldnt even listen to it anymore!! i had a thumb bot on 5 that i upgraded to an 18 volt preamp and it did the same thing. i sold them because i would NEVER record with a fuzzy sounding bass.

8. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars
    my bad, that should be a duncan preamp, right?

9. Actually, it is my understanding that they did go back to a MEC preamp. Which is why the pull switch on the volume/blend pot is now a preamp disengage switch. When they were using the Basslines (Duncan) pre, this activated a "slap contour" (mid-scoop) effect. That was on the previous, single pickup version of the Jazzman, which has been discontinued.

I can hear the low end distortion that is being discussed in this thread. I think that is what makes the B string sound less than perfect to me. You do, indeed, get a bit of distortion when you get down into that range, which makes the B string sound a little different from the other strings. I've found that this becomes either more or less noticable, depending on what kind of amp and signal chain you're using. (I've played it through four different amps and a Boss GT-6B so far.)

I suspect that the distortion isn't coming from the preamp, though. I think it's the MEC pups. I notice the same effect when I switch the preamp out entirely. They are definitely hot enough to add some distortion, and I think that they contribute a lot to the "ballsy" sound that makes a Warwick sound like a Warwick. (Notice that all Warwicks have the "Warwick sound," whether the bodies are made of bubinga or ash/maple, and whether they have preamps in them or not.)

It doesn't bother me, though. I have other, cleaner sounding basses. I bought this one strictly as a live, ass kickin', rock and roll machine. I like the growl that it has. Don't think it would have the sound I'm looking for if it had cleaner, more polite pups.

10. Perhaps this is why Warwick only makes its limited edition basses in 4-string versions. From what I read, the complaint of distorted low end must be coming from 5-ers.

11. Mines actually a four string and i still have problems with the low e! Its got that slap contour thing as well on the pull switch. I still think its the preamp...im gonna try adding a resistor, i'll let you know if it works
    x