Corvette FNA vs. Stringray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Okay, I was browsing ebay again (God I need more of a "home life.") But anyway, I found a Corvette FNA, and was wandering how it would hold up against a StingRay. I know you "can't beat" a StingRay's sound, but how do the two compare to you guys???

I love the sound of a single Humbucker, But I love the sound of Warwick's wood selctions and pickup combo better... The two together for me could be a match made in Bass Heaven!!!!

"Curiously Cultivating Curtains and Crude Oils, Atop a crushed ice maker!!!!"
    -Apex Theory
  2. basslag13

Apr 16, 2005
    i own an corvette FNA and i like it but i didn't buy it with the stock pickup. so im not sure how it compares to a stingray. I think the FNA jazzman would be better than a stingray. That thing is an animal. Sorry i couldn't help more.
  3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I've once heard a RATM tribute band, and the bassist was playing an FNA 4. The tone was real close to Timmy C's, but with a bit more growl. It was cool.
    I also heard a lot of good things about the FNA Jazzman, too :evil: :smug:
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    That's probably mine you're looking at on eBay. I offered it here first with no serious buyers.

The FNA is more Pbassy in tone, IMO. A very versatile bass - I'd be keeping mine if it were a fiver. The wenge/wenge neck is incredible!
  5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Just buy both.

I was a Warwick lover, and a MM lover. Had a Streamer Pro-M, and an active Corvette. For what it's worth, I now own only MM basses. As soo many people have said, it really is a matter of apples and oranges, brunettes and redheads. For my body, my style, the kind of music I play and the way I play it - MM basses are a perfect fit. Warwicks were too heavy, hurt my wrist, and usually sounded either too muddy, or too sizzly. They never had the midrange I was after either. For your style a Stingray may have too much mids and a Warwick might be just the wight you're looking for.

I'd just play the hell out of both of em until one felt more right than the other, buy it, and immediately start saving for the other.

Interesting thing I learned for people like myself who can't afford to buy too many basses. I read a money management book not that long ago where they suggested paying yourself before anyone else - an it's changes my bass buying life. I'll easily write checks out creditors, landlords, unexpected expenses, parking tickets... I always seem to come up with the money I need for that. Now along with all my monthly bills, I pay myself some too from ($20 to $100) and stick it in an envelope labeled bass, xtra cash, clothes, etc. It's been working wonderfully for me. I've also gotten over the fear of selling basses I don't use.
  6. On ebay, I found both, exactly what I want...

A Music Man Stingray...

A Warwick Corvette FNA...

I know the MM is REALLY beatup, but I bet looks are deceiving, I bet that thing still has a monsterous punch to it.

Heavy Duty, I was pretty sure I had seen that bass before, and now I know where... I also found a blue five stringer on the 'bay, but I am a four string guy, so I looked it over.

I definately would like to own both, but I need to play and FNA first. I AM 1000% a Corvette fan, but I'm talking standard Corvette, not FNA, never played an FNA, guess I'll have to soon :). The only dispute I have with the FNA... Gold hardware, ewww!!! I hate gold hardware... alot! I guess If I bought an FNA, it would get a make-over as soon as it's affordable.

Well, I appreciate the feedback so far, hopefully I'll end up with both of these basses eventually. I need the money first, lol.

7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive seen FNAs go on ebay for around $500 (no reserve) and have no one bid on it. Ive never seen a Stingray sell for under 700 unless it had something wrong with it. That alone says something.

I have a Musicman Sterling and it is amazing. I dont think i would trade it for anything. The neck is perfect, it feels great. The body weight and balance are great too, and the thing sounds excellent.

I vote musicman.