Corvette, Jazz, or Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DownCaster, Mar 11, 2001.

1. DownCaster

Aug 22, 2000
    ok...i am starting to look for my next bass and i am thinking that i want one of these three: Music Man Sting Ray, Warwick Corvette FNA (Jazzman maybe?) or a Fender MIA Jazz. I would like any input on any of these basses and being left handed i cant find them in local stores to try them out firsthand.
    thanks in advance :)
  2. akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    I say just take a road trip to your closest guitar center and try them out personally. It would be worth it. Basses are a lot more personal than most instruments, there are lot of different kinds that feel and sound different. It takes me about ten minutes to adjust from my peavey milestone iv four string and my corvette std 5 string...........
  3. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    They are all very good choices, and all sound great. All three also have very distinct sounds to them, and all of them play very differently. I personally prefer the tone and feel of Fenders, and think Warwick neck are to fat. But you may think otherwise...Find the time to go to your local music store and play all of them and a few other brands as well. Its also a good idea to bring your own amp into the store with you when you are ready to make the purchase, this way there is no doubt in your mind as to exactly what it will sound like.
  4. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    I'm with the cats that say to go shopping. Go and try them out, I would personally go for the Corvette, but that is just because I have played several examples of all three and just like it the most. If I were you, I would go and try it out, we can tell you on this site how much we all love this guitar and that guitar, and they are all prob. good, but they are not always going to be what you like, and that is the bottom line when it is your cash.
  5. drbottom

Mar 7, 2001
    Manchester, CT
    I am struggling with the same issue. I tried a corvette limited edition, which I absolutely loved (very playable, great tone). But, I am concerned about how it will hold up to a lot of hard playing, and the range of tones was not as good as the fender precision I tried.

I concluded that it was a trade off--playability vs. durability, and good basic tone vs. a range of tones.

It depends what you want...
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Guys, he's a lefty and that makes it kind of hard to check all 3 out.

What I will advise you to do is to at least try the necks and see which one you prefer the feel of, and play the open strings through an amp similar to yours at different settings on the basses to get an idea of the tone.

If it were my $$$, here are my thoughts on the basses.

Fit & finish, Warwick 1st, MusicMan a close second, Fender 3rd.

Playability Fender 1st, MusicMan second, Warwick 3rd. I am basing this on the fact that the Fender has the slimmest neck, the Stingray is second, and the Warwick is like a baseball bat. You may prefer a thick neck, if that is the case, put these in the reverse order.

Best 1 tone, the Stingray, no question.
    Most good, useable tones, Fender.
    Because I play oldies, Jazz influenced gospel, praise & worship at church and heavy metal, I would take the Jazz based on it's versatility.

The best of these 3 IMHO is the Stingray.

I wish that I could tell you to try them all and make the decision for yourself, but since you are a lefty it would be almost impossible to find an example of all 3. I've never seen a LH Warwick, and rarely see a Fender or Musicman.
  7. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Id go for the warwick my self! But you might try bumping it up to the corvette pro-line!~ I think they have a better sound over all than the rest! Very unique sound! Has this great growl to it! I love my warwick corvette pro-line now that i have it i cant play those damned stiff ass fenders!
  8. No one has explained "stiff" to me yet......I'm still waiting to know what that means :D
  9. DownCaster

Aug 22, 2000
    this might help w/ some advice on which bass:
    i need something that can be fingered and picked mainly, but also able to have tapping and slapping thrown in on it. since i have a very wide playing style my old P. just isn't quite working.
  10. embellisher

With a good pro setup any of those basses should work for slap and tap.
  11. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Just have to give you a completely different view - I hate Stingrays and I will never buy one for as long as I live. But I believe I belong to a minority.

If I were to choose between these three basses, I wouldn't hesitate - Fender all the way. Plays great, sounds great. It may be poorly built in comparison to the others, though.

As always, it's your choice. Entirely.
  12. yup, go shopping. you're gonna spend ££££s or $$$$s so spend a good few hours playing in teh shop.

One of the basse will suit you more, buy it.

Personally i own a sting ray and i love - i expect many bass players will tell you the same - so that's pretty irrelevant!
    I've played a few Warwicks, including a corvette and I didnt like any of them. I found them really dead in comparison to my Ray and the two I've tested had really bad necks (big grooves between the laminates on the neck)- I may well have tried out two really bad examples...

Warwicks are heavy for their size too.
  13. embellisher

Am I the only one who noticed that Downcaster is a lefty, and can't really go to a shop and play an instrument for hours, if they don't have it in a left handed version? :rolleyes:
  14. "Am I the only one who noticed that Downcaster is a lefty, and can't really go to a shop and play an instrument for hours, if they don't have it in a left handed version?"

What on Earth are you talking about man. There's no such thing as a 'left handed man' it's fable I tell you, pure ridicule, ridicule and fantasy.

Left-handed indeed... preposterous!

...but seriously...
    My advice is go to the best shop in the area and tell them the score. If you're going to spend a £1000 or more then they should get in a few models for you to try, I'm sure they can get a few on sale or return if you convince them you're buying from them.

In short, make them earn their commission!!!!
  15. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Man i cant believ so many people dont like warwicks but thats good i guess! Stiff is what i think of after i got my warwick! I used to have 2 fenders an new amercan made jazz bass and a late 60s fender p-bass! I loved these basses but i decided to buy a older warwick from 95 its a corvette pro-line! I played it for a few months and just fell in love with it! Took me awhile because the neck is very strange but i love the un finished wood grain that are grooves on the neck! But after playing this bass i cant play my fenders anymore! They feel very stiff and dead to me! Kinda like i used to drive a new grand am(new fender jazz) and a old mustang(old fender) Then i just got a brand new top of the line bmw so you see the problem with driving that old crap again!
  16. next time I'm in a bas place I'll try another top of the range Warwick - I do think the ones I trued had been sat around for a while and not really looked after...
  17. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    to me "stiff" means that in order to fret a string you have to put some 250 Kg of preassure on it :)
    also meaning you have to dig in with your right hand because the strings' tension is so extreme and thats why its also hard to fret them...
    on a warwick it feels like butter, but that might be just a setup issue anyway.
  18. ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    just thought you'd like to know, if you already didn't. Warwick recently annouced that there would be no more upcharges for lefties. I dunno the story for the others, but it's another tick in the box for the Corvette.
  19. That is DEFINATELY a setup issue, which has little to do with brand! Like I said in an earlier post, most basses sitting in a store aren't fit to play. Now it may be that some stores set up their more expensive basses before they put them on display, which might explain why Warwicks tend to be set up better than Fenders. Also, I don't think Fender pays quite enough attention to setup on basses leaving the factory. String guage is also an important factor. Obviously, a thicker string is going to have more tension on it and thus going to be harder to press down. My jazz bass plays very nicely. There's almost zero relief in the neck, the frets are crowned and dressed perfectly (came like that!) and my action is about 2mm at the 12th fret. I play pretty hard and there aren't any buzzes or anything. I've played lots of Warwicks, some of them were set up nicely some of them were horrible, y'know, strings half an inch off the neck type thing. Actually, I've seen extremes in setup on almost all brands of bass in stores....
  20. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    No man iam saying out of all the basses ive played in the studio and the ones i own that fender are still stiff to me! They feel more like a big clunky tool! My warwick and other nice brands feel so smoth! I even like the high end dean bass i played today!