Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

corvette or thumb

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by [csp]fortyniner, Aug 13, 2004.

1. [csp]fortyniner

[csp]fortyniner

Aug 13, 2004
    ok well i got 2 choices i can either get a 5 string corvette or i couild get a 6 string thumb idk what to get they both are sweet but tht's all i can chose from cause i cnt find a 6 string corvette well just to let u know i'm into primus and les claypool stuff so tht kinda goes toward fretless so i'm really conused help but i want a warwick definetly

2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Tough choice, I'm contemplating around the same thing.

I can't decide between:
    4/5 string Corvette FNA Jazzman
    4/5/6 string Thumb Bolt-on
    4/5/6 string Thumb Neck Thru

What you need to do is way the facts, which will you use more, and which do you want just because of aesthetics or the fact that you can say I have *.

Right now for you as I know nothing at all about what you play like, or currently have I'd suggest the 6 string Thumb. Extremely versitile, an AMAZING instrument and it will help keep that neck dive minimal because of how large it is. It's also one sweet bass.

I've owned a Corvette 5 string standard, it was great but I always wished it was a thumb. Maybe you should try and play on a 5 string FNA Jazzman....those basses blow my mind :0.

3. Bass Tranquil

Bass Tranquil

Nov 16, 2003
    If I were in your shoes I would go with the sixer. You'll have an extra string to play with. But if you feel the neck for that would be too big you can always easily trade that for the 5.

4. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Maybe this will help

5. Jim Jackson

Jim Jackson

Jun 19, 2004
    i'd totally go with the thumb but i'd probably get me a four string neck through.

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Thumb! I have a 4 string neck thru and love it.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thumb bolt on..

grawr.

8. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Well both are great basses, their respective pickup placement is quite different, so the tones available are going to be very different. Each will still have that Warwick fundamental but I've played both and they sounded so different to me. That's something that should be considered first. Regarding ergonomics, they're both going to be heavy for sure but there are enough products out their to help with that nowadays, i.e. thick padded straps, straplocks, etc...

9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :meh: Tough one....

I have a Corvette 6 that i'm very happy with. Because of the p-up placement, the Corvette should be way more versatile than the Thumb - mine is, at least. And I can get plenty of growl, too. not to mention the Corvettes look nicer imo, but personal preferences vary, I know. They also have longer upper horns, an so less neckdive
    (*note: both basses were desinged to be played higher, mostly slap and fingerstyle, and so they wouldnt need all that balance, they would rest up to 30 degrees, but not over that)

Both basses are nice. if you really want a 6 and have the money, then you might as well buy the Thumb.

10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
  11. [csp]fortyniner

[csp]fortyniner

Aug 13, 2004
    well i just found a guy sellin a 6 string bolt on thumb for like $850!!! great deal and it is near perfect condition the only thing bout it is right above the front pickup from playin no biggie and new strings