Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Corvette problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dees, Jul 4, 2004.

1. I have my Corvette for about 2 months now, it plays and sounds great, only one problem: it feels weird and a bit uncomfortable playing when I use a strap and stand up.
    Any of you corvette owners/players have the same problem?
    It sounds silly, but it's really irritating. Except that fact, I totally love the bass, active/passive switch, beautfill ash body,....

2. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    its called neck dive, you try to angle the bass but the bass tries to get parallel with the floor, this is a common problem with somo warwicks exepting the dolphin and the fortress, the upper horn on the corvette and the thumb is too short (must get till the 12th fret to be balanced). Try playing with your strap shortened or buy a harness.

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    my six is like this! but the tone......oh..to die for!

do a search for what some dude was doing to his G and L ASATs - a bolt on sheet metal or aluminum attachment behind the bolts (to the neck). i have learned that the closer a strap button is nearer to the 12 fret mark - more than likely you will get great balance. unfortunatly the corvette his neck diver (the warwick thumb bass horrible as well).

another remedy is a bass brace (i think) - made in canada. http://www.bassbrace.com/

you can make one of these for under $10 - i did! it works to get rid of the neck dive, but will add a little more pressure to your left shoulder (my right cause' i'm a stinkin' southpaw).

good luck and PM me if you need any more advice.

:)

4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I've done this, but in 10mm clear acrylic sheet, to my Alembic. Uses the original screw holes, with an 'L' bracket to the one at the bridge end, and a piece of very, very soft leather behind it (between body and brace) to prevent any damage to the finish. The sheet extends the neck strap mount to the 11th fret, and the bridge end one is now available in the standard position, or very high in the body above the bridge; allows it to sit in the rather steep playing angle I prefer. It's hardly visible when looking at it in daylight, and would be completely invisible on a dark stage. There's also NO extra holes in the body.

For instruments with a bolt on neck, I could see a simple and elegant solution being to replace the neck bolt plate with one that has an extension strap bar like the NS Stick.

5. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Corvettes? Sounds like a problem for Mike N. Oh wait, he means the bass...

6. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Congrats, my Corvette is ash too!! :D And by the way i use wide strap, that helps a little bit ..... :D

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    My 96 Corvette balances fine, with no neck dive.

If the bass is at a reasonable height with a good strap, you will have less diving issues.

8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Corvettes and Thumbs were designed to be played at chest-height and therefore angles of over 30 degrees would be not necessary; but even so, they have a bit of neckdive. A wide leather strap helps a lot, that is the easy&cheap solution; however, there are the more difficult solutions as well...

BTW that design is not new - Hans Peter Wilfer's (Warwick founder, CEO) first bass, the Nobby Meidel bass (if I remeber the name right...) had this same thing, becouse it had no body horns - and no head

9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
  10. Jazzguy

Jazzguy Banned

May 3, 2004
    A short upper horn and heavy neck woods, that's Warwick.