Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Corvette Proline VS Thumb BO

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Groove Tools, Feb 28, 2004.

1. 1.Which one do YOU like better?
    2.Which one is better for metal and rock?
    3.Which one looks better?

they both have the some pickups and the same preamp.
    corvette proline has a flamed maple body
    thumb bo has an ovangkol body

so what do you think. please answer the 3 questions.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    corvette for all :p

3. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    1. Thumb
    2. Thumb
    3. and uh, THUMB. nuff said
    I love mine, best tone bar none of all my basses

4. I love both i've had a vette std but ive tried the thumb a hundred times. and i really like the sound of both so I'm not decided on which one to buy. although I like the looks of the vette better I dont want to buy it just for looks so i would apreciate pics and sound samples :)

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    the only thumb i have played did not impress me at all. i blame this on it being kind of trashed so i can't speak on the sound of a good thumb.
    since most people like the sound of a thumb i think i just played a lemon. did not want to sit in my lap though

as the for the vette pro. better balance by a long shot sitting down w/o strap. good sound to begin, with controls to enhance the sound, instead of some basses with bad sound that use controls to find a good tone.

really close price wise so real noticable better value. i would by a vette though cause of the available colors besides natural, and cause the sound killed.

my bass testing songs range from The Magnificient Seven to Anathesia and the vette really responded well to different playing styles/feels/touch/whatever

dont know if that is heavy enough but i prefer melody over ridiculous screaming and what not.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i wouldnt say REALLY close price wise. Isnt the vette pro still a few hundred lesss?

7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    1. Corvette
    2. Both
    3. Corvette

I have a Corvette Std 6 that I really like, though I would've liked a Pro 6 in Ocean Blue even more... but i got a better deal on the Std 6 and could save up only so much as to buy the Corvette Std at that price. (but both Corvette Pro and Thumb are still on my gas list...)

I think the Corvette looks better, but the Thumb has more of that unique tone... but then again, the Corvette is a bit more versatile. Especially the Pro, with that maple body - that means it can get clean and clear, unlike my Std, which has that characteristic woody growly tone

I think its up to you to decide.

BTW how many strings will it have? ;)

8. 6 strings. I more like a progressive metal kinda guy.

9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Nice choice ;) But keep in mind that both sixers will have a bit of neckdive - the Corvette less, the Thumb more. For example my corvette will only stay in the less-than-30-degrees range; both of them will also be heavy - but i bet your GT 7 is heavy, as well ;)

10. Well I guess im getting the corvette. but anyone has pics with the different colors and finishes? Probably natural finish would be nice also the ocean blue looks nice but what about the others any suggestion?

11. i am having the same dilema. i wanna buy a new bass this summer, and can not decide between the corvette proline 5, thumb BO 5, or the streamer LX5. but i have los of time to think about it, so im no worried.

anyway, about the finishes for the proline. the natural looks quite nice with the gold hardware, but if i were to get the proline, i would get it in green, check out warwicks site, for a list of available finishes.

12. Thumb, overall, I went through the same debate... worth it

13. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I have both a thumb 5 bo and a streamer lx 5. Love 'em both. the Streamer is better balanced, but I cured the thumb's neck dive with a wide Zon leather strap. I still say my thumb has the best tone of all my basses though. I'm a real bottom dweller tone wise and the thumb is just bone crushing.

14. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    if you find the "RIGHT ONE".
    i love mine but it took me maybe 20-25 attempts and 8mo to find a quality thumb.... but when you do.... ahhhhhh.... growl, burp, punch, pop..... it's alll there.

ummm the vette is kinda ugly, and the tone is so so, if your shopping tone.. well than no contest...... thumb bo

15. when will ppl see that.

What you really neeed iiisss

A Streamer Jazzman or
    FNA Jazzman

cant be got second hand for reasonable prices...

Best warwick by far is the Streamer Jazzman..fantastic bass..i had a thumb for about 4 weeks hated it so sold it..:)...

:p

16. remmember i need 6 strings

17. MAN I tried the FNA JAZZMAN and you were right is better than both for what i want. I guess im going o get that one it has a 3 way preamp and a coil switch. :) its really nice. ill get it in the kinda honey looking color

18. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    VERY GOOD CHOICE.... OOOHHHHH I WANT ONE :hyper:

GASSIN Y'ALL :(

19. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    I have played on Corvettes FNA jazzman, Proline and standart.
    I have also tried Thumb (BO and neck throught) and i really prefer Prolines and thumb (NT).
    Corvette proline is a very agressive sound bass, powerfull , warm, growly and very "definite".
    Thumb NT is a big low end bass.
    I have been really disapointed by Thumb BO and corvette standart by comparison with a proline.(mapple body is great!!!)

Today, I really think that warwick wood quality is going under, because of my last corvette fna jazzman.
    I think this lower quality would be followed by lower price.
    Todays warwick basses aren t as good as pre2002 warwick, for me it s an evidence!

20. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    I far prefer the corvette proline to the thumb bolt on. A more comfortable bass, and the sound just suits me. I think you get some of the signature warwick tone, but a little smoother. I've sold other basses, but I doubt I'll ever sell my proline, it always, always sounds good.